Protecting Your Property if Flooding is Imminent

What Would You Do To Protect Your Property If Flooding Was Imminent?

What would you do if you just received a warning that flooding was imminent? How would you protect your property and its contents? Public Loss Adjusters have compiled a useful list of things to do to protect your property from damage caused by flooding.

Ensure You Have The Correct Insurance In Place Just In Case a Flood Occurs in The Future

Most building insurance policies will cover your property for flooding. In some areas that are prone to flooding, it may be a bit harder and more expensive to find insurance coverage. If this is the case then there is a government-backed scheme called Flood Re which can help make the flood cover aspect of your insurance policy more affordable.

Flood damage is very common in the UK, especially in winter. In certain parts of the UK, it seems to happen every year. There are many different regions in the UK that are prone to flooding. For example, areas such as Cornwall, East Coast regions, like Great Yarmouth and Hull, and Sussex and Kent are all prone to coastal floods.

There are many ways that a flood could occur. Another example of one would be riverside flooding. This type of flooding seems to affect areas such as Somerset, Essex, and Norfolk the most. Again, another occurrence of flooding would be floodplains and surface water from heavy rain.

There are many ways to learn if flooding is imminent in your area. One way is to watch out for weather warnings and flood warnings or from local news on the TV, Radio or Social Media.

If there is flooding expected, it is very understandable to panic. Yet, there are many things that you can do before to help the situation before it arrives.

What Should I Do if Flooding is Imminent?
  • Move any vehicles you own to higher ground if it is safe to do so.

  • Turn off gas, electricity, and water when floodwater is about to enter your home.

  • Move as much furniture as you can upstairs.

  • Store any sentimental or precious items upstairs or out of your property.

  • Keep important documents in watertight bags upstairs or in a safe dry place.

  • If possible, roll up any rugs, carpets or curtains and store them in a safe place upstairs.

  • Any items outside the house that aren’t fixed down, move to a safer location. For example, Barbecues, Dustbins, Garden Furniture.

  • Unplug all smaller electrical items and store them upstairs or out of the house.

  • Any sizeable items, E.G. washing machines or cookers, you should raise them on bricks if possible

After you have taken all these precautions, make sure you stay safe during the flood. As they are dangerous events, it can be very easy for people to receive injuries from fast-moving, deep rushing water. failing that, people could also become very ill from swallowing too much water. This is because it has most likely been contaminated by sewage or other pollutants.

It is possible that evacuation from your property may be ordered by your local authorities. If this is the case, you must follow the instructions down to the letter. This is because they are thinking solely about your safety.

Your insurer may be able to provide temporary accommodation after a flood, but in the meantime, you could look to stay with friends or family. If you rent your property and it has been damaged then in most cases, your landlord may be legally required to offer you an alternative place to stay whilst your property is being repaired.

Heavy rain can cause localised flooding
What Can I Do To Stay Safe During A Flood?
  • Do not go near sources of electricity while in water. If your electricity isn’t switched off, then get a qualified professional to do it for you.

  • Likewise with your gas.

  • Do not walk through moving water. As little as 6 inches can knock you over. Also, there may be a hazard underneath that you cannot see.

  • You should wash your hands when touching floodwater. It is likely that it has been contaminated with sewage and other harmful things.

  • Don’t return home unless you’re told to by authorities.

What Should I Do Now That It Is Safe To Go Back Into My Property?

When the authorities have told you that you can go home, there may be some considerable damage. You must, above all else, consider the safety of your surroundings and the people around you first.

You should then contact your insurer as soon as you can to lodge your initial claim. It is important that you speak to your insurer before trying to sort anything out by yourself as your policy may have clauses as to what you are or not allowed to do right away.

It is always best to call them as the conversation should be recorded, just in case you need to refer back to what was advised at a later date. If your insurance policy includes alternative accommodation ask if it can be arranged for somewhere for you to stay as soon as possible.

It may be tempting to start cleaning up but make sure you take as many photos of the damage as you can of both the building and also its damaged contents. Do not throw anything until you are told to do so.

Flood insurance claims can be very complicated and very stressful. In many cases your insurer may not be as helpful as you would have expected them to be. If this is the case it may be time to ask for the help of an insurance claims management professional to get involved to work on your behalf and negotiating a sufficient settlement package.   

Public Loss Adjusters can help with flood insurance claims
How Public Loss Adjusters Can Help With Flood Insurance Claims

If your property has been flooded by water, then it can be an extremely challenging time. One of the most challenging aspects of the situation is the insurance claim. Our Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors can manage your flood insurance claim for you from start to finish. We will deal with your insurance company on your behalf and ensure that you get everything you’re entitled to. 

Flood damage can devastate your building and its contents. This is why it is a good idea to have someone who can provide expert knowledge to aid you with your claim. Here at Public Loss Adjusters, we can do that. We make sure that your final settlement will cover the complete cost of the revival of your property. 

If you need help with flood insurance claims, feel free to call 08000 434 999

Comments are closed.

More Latest News

All News

Customer Testimonials

Michele Desmond

Within 1 month of being appointed, he had secured an offer 10 times greater than the insurance company's original offer to us in settlement. Very professional service throughout. I would thoroughly recommend PLA.

Maya Odedra

Thanks to them we got our claim and everything worked out. They are all so friendly and honest and always there for us when we needed them on the phone or in person. Thank you so much. Really appreciate what you did for us.

Yasmeen Hussain

Thank you so much Michael even though these words are far less for you. Anyone who is thinking twice please don’t hesitate you won’t regret it you will be in best hands possible I promise you.

All Testimonials

Why Use Our Claims Insurance Management Services?

Questions & Answers
Request a Callback

    Why Choose Us?
    • Free Loss Adjusting Service in Most Cases

    • Nationwide Company - Friendly Local Approach

    • We Only Recommend Fully Qualified Contractors

    • 24 Hour Nationwide Helpline

    • We Work For You NOT Your Insurance Company

    • Settlement Figure Higher in Most Cases

    • Option of Cash Settlement For 10% Fee

    Learn More
    We cover the whole of the UK
    Call Now ButtonClick to Call