Burst Pipes, Prevention And Insurance Claims

Burst Pipes and Insurance Claims: Everything You Need To Know

An extended cold spell at the end of December 2022 and early January 2023 led to burst pipes in buildings all over the UK. Public Loss Adjusters are still receiving an unprecedented number of enquiries from people asking for help with Burst Pipe Insurance Claims.

Read our quick guide on everything you need to know about burst pipes, prevention and what to do if the unthinkable happens on your property.

Why Will A Frozen Pipe Burst?

Water expands as it freezes. This expansion might lead to a pipe cracking or bursting. A leak or a full break in the pipe could come from the pipe rupturing under the pressure of the expanding ice.

Burst pipes can also occur if the pipe is inadequately insulated or the heat in a building is not maintained during cold weather, this can occur when the temperature dips below freezing.

How Can I Stop My Pipes Freezing?

You can take a variety of measures to prevent your pipes from freezing:

  1. Insulate any pipes that pass through unheated or outdoor areas, including crawl spaces, lofts, and basements. To keep the pipes warm, use pipe sleeves, insulation, or heating tape.
  2. Keep an eye on the weather forecast: Be aware of any forecast for cold weather and take precautions to protect your water pipes before the temperature drops.
  3. Allow the faucet to drip: If the temperature is below freezing, allow the faucet to drip a little to keep water moving through the pipes this will make the water less likely to freeze.
  4. Ensure that you keep the heat on: If you’re going to be away from home during the cold weather, keep the heat on at a temperature no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
  5. Seal any air leaks around the pipes to prevent cold air from entering the space and freezing the pipes. Seal any gaps or cracks with caulk or any other appropriate sealant.
  6. If you have a garage that has a water supply, keep the garage door closed to keep the room temperature above freezing.

By taking these precautions, you can help to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.


We an assist with insurance claims relating to burst pipes. Click Here to contact us now.

What Should I Do if I Have a Burst Pipe?

You must act quickly to limit the damage from burst pipes and avoid further challenges. Here are some steps you should take:

  1. Drain the pipe: Allow any residual water to drain out by opening faucets and valves close to the burst pipe.
  2. Stop the flow of water to the burst pipe, find your home’s main water shut-off valve and turn it off.
  3. To contain the water and stop it from spreading to other parts of the house, close the doors to the affected areas if possible.
  4. Clean up as much water as you can from the impacted area. Water should be removed using towels or a mop.
  5. Identify the damage: Make a list of any damaged items and take photos of the damage. When filing an insurance claim, this information will come in handy.
  6. Keep track of expenses: Save all receipts and invoices for any repairs since your insurance may cover them. Keep in mind that your insurer may have to approve any expenses BEFORE you pay out for them.
  7. Prevent freezing: If freezing temperatures were to blame for the burst pipe, take precautions to avoid it happening again. This can entail insulating pipes, plugging air leaks, and maintaining heat in the winter.

Who Should I Call If My Property Has a Water Leak?

A qualified plumber should be the first person you call when burst pipes occur. A plumber can evaluate the damage and swiftly and safely fix the pipe. They are equipped with the skills and expertise necessary to properly repair or replace the pipe.

You should also contact your insurance provider to let them know about the broken pipe and the resulting damage. If you don’t already have a plumber, they should advise you on the subsequent steps in the claim procedure.

For burst pipes, it can be useful to call a water damage restoration company if the damage is severe and spread throughout your property. They can assist in removing the water, drying up the damaged areas, and avoiding mould growth and other problems.

With larger insurance claims due to burst pipes, your insurer should be sourcing a flood restoration company for you. Unfortunately, in busy times your insurer may ask you to find suitable flood restoration companies yourself. If this is the case, you will struggle to find one as they will already be busy!

In the event of a burst pipe, you should take immediate action to limit the damage, stop further problems, and protect your safety as well as the safety of your home.

Also, by calling Public Loss Adjusters we can offer free helpful advice on how to deal with your insurance provider. If required, we can manage every aspect of the burst pipe insurance claim on your behalf.


Call us now and let us assist. Click Here to contact us now.

Who Can Help With Water Damage Insurance Claims?

There are various experts who can help you with burst pipes and also if you need to file an insurance claim:

  1. Public Loss Adjusters are independent loss adjusters who do not work for insurance companies but instead for policyholders. We can guide you through the claims procedure and make sure your claim is handled fairly and in keeping with your best interests.
  2. Plumbers: A qualified plumber can fix the broken pipe or give you a quote for the repairs, which you may need for your insurance claim.
  3. Flood Damage Restoration Companies: You might wish to get in touch with a water damage restoration company if the damage is severe. They can assist in removing the water, drying up the damaged areas, and avoiding mould growth and other problems. Ultimately, they can repair your damaged property.
  4. Insurance Brokers: If you bought your insurance policy through an insurance broker, they can advise you on your insurance policy and assist you in understanding what is and is not covered.
  5. Insurance Company: You can get in touch with your insurance provider to alert them to the damage caused by the burst pipe. If you don’t already have a plumber, they will advise you on the subsequent steps in the claim procedure.

Still Need Help With A Flood Insurance Claim?

Don’t worry, when it comes to burst pipes, Public Loss Adjusters are experts who are here to help. We can manage your insurance claim on your behalf to ensure that you receive your full entitlement. As a nationwide group of independent loss adjusters, our job is to ensure that you receive your full insurance entitlement after a burst pipe.

If you need a little advice, we are happy to help. Many people come to us simply because their expectations from their insurer are much higher than the service received. Just remember, the earlier we can get involved, the more beneficial our services can be.

Call Public Loss Adjusters Today on 08000 434 999

Guide To Managing a Commercial Claim

When a business suffers from a fire, flood or any other insured event, the immediate results can be disastrous. When you submit your insurance claim, would you know what to expect from your insurer or what other help is available?

Public Loss Adjusters have produced our helpful guide to managing a commercial insurance claim. If you are unfortunate enough to be in this situation, we can help by managing the complicated insurance claim on your behalf.

Always Plan Ahead in Case The Worst Happens

First of all, nobody ever expects to be put in this unfortunate situation but it does happen to many businesses! After you have taken out or renewed your insurance policy and receive your documents you should store them in a safe and secure place.

Nowadays, most insurers will email your insurance policy to you or provide an online portal where you can log in for quick access. If this is the case, at least make sure you save the email that links to this portal or bookmark the website where it can be accessed.

Make sure you know all the important contact numbers for your insurer just in case you have to submit a claim. You may also want to keep a record of any out-of-hours contact numbers as well. The best way to do this is by storing them on your mobile phone.

Ensure that your policy is up to date with your current business needs. Keep in mind that your needs may change as your business grows! Ask yourself if you are still fully covered by every change your business makes. Be sure to check your insurance policy.

It is better to ask your insurer if you need to change your policy or not. The last thing you need is to find out that you are not covered because your insurance policy has not been altered.

If you renew your policy annually or regularly change your insurance provider make sure that the contact details you have on file are up to date. When you take out a new policy ensure that any excess is manageable and you are not underinsured if disaster does strike.

Address Safety Concerns

After the incident, you are responsible to ensure that your business premises are secure. This will help to prevent further damage, vandalism or theft. You will need to ensure that the property is safe to enter and any immediate dangers are dealt with.

Public Loss Adjusters can help you by recommending local professionals to carry out emergency building repair works such as securing dangerous areas and boarding up the property.

Identifying Damaged Contents

Your insurer may want to examine all damaged items associated with the claim. Keep an inventory of all the contents of the building and take photos of everything including stock.

Some items may be repairable or it could be the case that it would be cheaper to replace them but do not throw anything out unless you are told to do so.

Communication is the Key

In the first instance, you should inform your insurance company, even if it is out of hours. If your place of business is rented, you will need to inform your landlord as they will also have to get in touch with their own insurers.

Make sure that you inform anyone related to the business of the current situation. This may include customers, staff, suppliers or even other neighbouring businesses. If you are providing services to your customers, reassure them that you can still provide the services that you may be contracted to. If you cannot provide these services explain your situation and let them know as soon as possible.

Know Your Rights Regarding Insurance Claims Management Services

Your insurance provider will generally appoint a loss adjuster to provide them with a full assessment of the damage and their potential liability. After meeting you and evaluating the damage the loss adjuster will then report back to your insurer with recommendations of liability on how to move forward with the claim.

Your insurer may appoint a forensic expert who will investigate the cause of the peril. During what could be a lengthy process you may have to wait months to find out if any liability will be accepted.

Keeping in mind, the loss adjuster will be employed directly or indirectly by your insurance company. In other words, they will be working for them. If you are not happy or are unsure of the loss adjusters findings there may not be much room for negotiations, and you will probably will not be experienced enough to know the best course of action to go forward.

Many people do not realise that they are perfectly entitled to appoint their own representatives to work on their behalf. By appointing an independent loss-adjusting company that will have the experience to negotiate with your insurer on your behalf.

Think about it, your very own loss adjusters will be there to help answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your insurance claim. Your loss adjuster will be able to go back and forth to your insurer and scrutinise every decision they make.

They will be able to manage the whole claim for you and negotiate the settlement that you are entitled to. Your representative will be able to keep on top of the claim by providing your insurer with all the necessary information they require. In many cases, this can dramatically reduce the time it takes for your claim to be settled.

Mitigation and Interim Payments

At this stage in your claim your insurer will expect you to do everything you possibly can to mitigate your losses and continue trading.

The insurance claims process may have begun but you may be under tremendous pressure to keep your business afloat. As a business owner, you will still have your day-to-day responsibilities to your customer, suppliers and staff.

If your business has had to close down the main aim will be to limit the amount of disruption and get back up and running as soon as possible. During this time, you may have very little cash flow, if any at all so settling your claim quickly is a high priority.

Once liability has been accepted there still may be some way to go before your claim is fully settled. By appointing your own insurance claims management company one of the advantages could be by helping to speed up the whole process. In many cases, they may even be able to negotiate a much-needed interim payment to keep you afloat whilst your claim is ongoing.

This may help you to replace important items that you need to keep your business running such as machinery and equipment. You may also need help claiming for loss of income if covered within your insurance policy.

Your own appointed loss adjuster may also help you find suitable accommodation or alternative business premises whilst your claim is ongoing. By appointing your own loss adjuster you will be at an advantage as they will be able to help assist with many of the problems that you may come across.

Appointing a Chartered Surveyor

Once liability has been accepted, in preparation for your claim your insurer will appoint a chartered surveyor to provide a detailed scope of work. If you do not own your business premises this may be dealt with through your landlord but you should still be kept informed and up to date.

If you have appointed your own loss adjusters to manage the claim on your behalf, they can approach your insurer in view to appointing your very own independent chartered surveyor too. Generally, your insurer will agree to cover your independent surveyor’s costs if you have a valid insurance claim.

Settling Your Insurance Claim

Your insurance claim should now be at the stage where your insurer will be made aware of most of the costs needed to proceed with your claim:

  • The estimated costs to fully repair the damage to the building including fixtures and fittings
  • The costs to replace or repair machinery and other trade contents
  • The costs to replace any stock that has perished
  • A prediction of business interruption costs

With larger claims, the next stage would be for the appointed surveyor to put the building works out to tender. With medium-sized to smaller claims it is not uncommon for your insurer to ask the policyholder to take on this responsibility.

Generally, a couple of building contractors would be invited to submit an estimate for the cost of repair work. A company recommended by your insurer may only be working to rates set by your insurer which may not cover the repair costs to its pre-loss standard.

If you have been asked to do the insurer’s job by finding your own building contractors, you will need to ensure that any company you approach is fully capable of the job at hand. You may have a company in mind but it is worth considering that repairing a property that has suffered fire or water damage is of a more specialist nature.

Wouldn’t it be better if a specialist company who are experts in fire and flood restoration were appointed? At Public Loss Adjusters, we would only recommend specialist building companies to ensure the works are carried out to a high standard.

Based on the building estimates submitted, your insurer can now decide on who to appoint to carry out the restoration work. Now a timescale will be agreed upon for the works to be completed. This will also give your insurer a better idea of estimating the business interruption part of your claim based on a deadline for the work to be completed by the appointed contractor.

Meanwhile, other parts of your claim should be able to be calculated rather quickly such as machinery, stock, contents and fixtures and fittings.

Getting Back to Business

As soon as the building work is completed, you should now be ready to be a fully operational business again. Although most of your claim will now be finalised, the business interruption part of the claim could still be awaiting completion.

This may not be finalised until you are fully operational to the level seen before the incident occurred or until the end of the indemnity period.

Why Choose Public Loss Adjusters?

This article has been published as an example of some of the many processes of a commercial business claim. Please keep in mind that depending on individual situations, no two cases are ever the same.

If you were to appoint Public Loss Adjusters to manage your claim on your behalf we would be there for you every step of the way. Once appointed, we will manage all negotiations on your behalf with your insurer and keep you up to date at all times.

You will be assigned your very own claims manager who will always be available to answer any questions you may have throughout the whole process. Our job is to ensure that you receive a full and fair settlement.

If you would like to see the real difference between a real insurer lead claim and a Public Loss Adjusters claim please click here.

Additionally, click this link for more information on business insurance claims.

To find out how we can help call us now on 08000 434 999 or ask a question through our contact us page. Don’t settle for less – Settle for the best.

Storm Damage Essentials You Need To Know

If you have been impacted by recent storm damage, Public Loss Adjusters are here to help with your claim. We can manage the claim on your behalf or even offer a little advice. If you are hesitant about how you need to proceed with a claim, do not hesitate to get in touch with our loss assessors today via our online chat, contact form, or call us directly on 08000 434 999.

Gather As Much Information As You Can

Backup Your Claim By Gathering A Local Weather Report

Insurers will typically rely on weather reports and things of this nature to evaluate how bad a storm was in a particular area. They will use this data to decide whether the weather was bad enough for an insurable event. This will help them determine if you have a valid claim and if they will pay you out for emergency work for repairs.

Having a log of when the event happened with details and pictures of the weather can help support your claim. Before carrying out emergency repairs, always try to get before and after pictures to show the damage caused. Then a report from the builder will back up the plan you have used to carry out the work.

Safeguarding Against Storm Damage

Manchester Storm

As the property owner, you need to take measures to protect the property from further damage. However, sometimes making sure that your landlord knows is enough as it’s typically their responsibility to deal with the insurer.

A property with existing damage can have more damage caused by the storm. So you are best to deal with this as soon as possible. The insurer is most likely not covering damage caused by a known problem. Although if you put measures in place, you can prove to your insurer that you tried preventing further damage during a storm, and you may still be covered.

Flood Prevention

Local councils may offer services such as flood boards and sandbags. However, you can use other methods to secure your property against floods. Such as using an Air Brick cover suitable for floods can help stop water ingress. Also, it will show insurers that you have taken steps to prevent flood damage.

There are ways to create barrier protection using some flood fences backed up with sandbags. Some flood barriers can fit door frames and gates with supporting pillars to hold them in place.

Wind Protection

Ensure that the property is secured as best you can to include items that could be blown away or damaged by high winds. If you are concerned there may be a potential problem, then having a local builder check can help as prevention can save you problems to begin with. It will show your insurer that you were aware of it and did everything possible to prevent potential damage.

How A Loss Assessor Can Help With Storm Damage

A loss assessor can ensure that you are getting what you need from your insurer in the best way possible. They will use their years of experience to provide great relevant insights based on past claims they have handled. Here at Public Loss Adjusters, we can negotiate with your insurer to ensure you receive all that you are entitled to as stated on your insurance policy.

It’s essential to make sure your insurance policy covers storm damage, as this could happen in any area at any time. As stated previously, always ensure that your property is well maintained, as your insurer may look to reject your claim if they think it’s down to damage from lack of repairs or poor maintenance.

Insurers will always try to reject a claim if they can put it down to wear and tear. In many cases, we can argue your case for you to change your insurer’s decision where we can find proof that this is not the case.

Remember, prevention is always the best policy as in many cases it can save you inconvenience in the future.

If you would like Public Loss Adjusters to assist you with a Storm Insurance Claim please get in touch today and see the difference we can make. Call now on 08000 434 999.

Protecting Your Property if Flooding is Imminent

What Would You Do To Protect Your Property If Flooding Was Imminent?

What would you do if you just received a warning that flooding was imminent? How would you protect your property and its contents? Public Loss Adjusters have compiled a useful list of things to do to protect your property from damage caused by flooding.

Ensure You Have The Correct Insurance In Place Just In Case a Flood Occurs in The Future

Most building insurance policies will cover your property for flooding. In some areas that are prone to flooding, it may be a bit harder and more expensive to find insurance coverage. If this is the case then there is a government-backed scheme called Flood Re which can help make the flood cover aspect of your insurance policy more affordable.

Flood damage is very common in the UK, especially in winter. In certain parts of the UK, it seems to happen every year. There are many different regions in the UK that are prone to flooding. For example, areas such as Cornwall, East Coast regions, like Great Yarmouth and Hull, and Sussex and Kent are all prone to coastal floods.

There are many ways that a flood could occur. Another example of one would be riverside flooding. This type of flooding seems to affect areas such as Somerset, Essex, and Norfolk the most. Again, another occurrence of flooding would be floodplains and surface water from heavy rain.

There are many ways to learn if flooding is imminent in your area. One way is to watch out for weather warnings and flood warnings or from local news on the TV, Radio or Social Media.

If there is flooding expected, it is very understandable to panic. Yet, there are many things that you can do before to help the situation before it arrives.

What Should I Do if Flooding is Imminent?
  • Move any vehicles you own to higher ground if it is safe to do so.

  • Turn off gas, electricity, and water when floodwater is about to enter your home.

  • Move as much furniture as you can upstairs.

  • Store any sentimental or precious items upstairs or out of your property.

  • Keep important documents in watertight bags upstairs or in a safe dry place.

  • If possible, roll up any rugs, carpets or curtains and store them in a safe place upstairs.

  • Any items outside the house that aren’t fixed down, move to a safer location. For example, Barbecues, Dustbins, Garden Furniture.

  • Unplug all smaller electrical items and store them upstairs or out of the house.

  • Any sizeable items, E.G. washing machines or cookers, you should raise them on bricks if possible

After you have taken all these precautions, make sure you stay safe during the flood. As they are dangerous events, it can be very easy for people to receive injuries from fast-moving, deep rushing water. failing that, people could also become very ill from swallowing too much water. This is because it has most likely been contaminated by sewage or other pollutants.

It is possible that evacuation from your property may be ordered by your local authorities. If this is the case, you must follow the instructions down to the letter. This is because they are thinking solely about your safety.

Your insurer may be able to provide temporary accommodation after a flood, but in the meantime, you could look to stay with friends or family. If you rent your property and it has been damaged then in most cases, your landlord may be legally required to offer you an alternative place to stay whilst your property is being repaired.

Heavy rain can cause localised flooding
What Can I Do To Stay Safe During A Flood?
  • Do not go near sources of electricity while in water. If your electricity isn’t switched off, then get a qualified professional to do it for you.

  • Likewise with your gas.

  • Do not walk through moving water. As little as 6 inches can knock you over. Also, there may be a hazard underneath that you cannot see.

  • You should wash your hands when touching floodwater. It is likely that it has been contaminated with sewage and other harmful things.

  • Don’t return home unless you’re told to by authorities.

What Should I Do Now That It Is Safe To Go Back Into My Property?

When the authorities have told you that you can go home, there may be some considerable damage. You must, above all else, consider the safety of your surroundings and the people around you first.

You should then contact your insurer as soon as you can to lodge your initial claim. It is important that you speak to your insurer before trying to sort anything out by yourself as your policy may have clauses as to what you are or not allowed to do right away.

It is always best to call them as the conversation should be recorded, just in case you need to refer back to what was advised at a later date. If your insurance policy includes alternative accommodation ask if it can be arranged for somewhere for you to stay as soon as possible.

It may be tempting to start cleaning up but make sure you take as many photos of the damage as you can of both the building and also its damaged contents. Do not throw anything until you are told to do so.

Flood insurance claims can be very complicated and very stressful. In many cases your insurer may not be as helpful as you would have expected them to be. If this is the case it may be time to ask for the help of an insurance claims management professional to get involved to work on your behalf and negotiating a sufficient settlement package.   

Public Loss Adjusters can help with flood insurance claims
How Public Loss Adjusters Can Help With Flood Insurance Claims

If your property has been flooded by water, then it can be an extremely challenging time. One of the most challenging aspects of the situation is the insurance claim. Our Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors can manage your flood insurance claim for you from start to finish. We will deal with your insurance company on your behalf and ensure that you get everything you’re entitled to. 

Flood damage can devastate your building and its contents. This is why it is a good idea to have someone who can provide expert knowledge to aid you with your claim. Here at Public Loss Adjusters, we can do that. We make sure that your final settlement will cover the complete cost of the revival of your property. 

If you need help with flood insurance claims, feel free to call 08000 434 999

A To Z Guide To Insurance Claims Jargon

Home and Business Insurance Policy A to Z

If you’re thinking about taking out a new insurance policy, renewing an existing policy or submitting an insurance claim, it is always better to have a good understanding of what could lay ahead. Our Helpful A-Z Guide of Insurance Terms below explains everything you need to know about insurance terminology.

We also provide many tips on what you should be doing when taking out a new policy for your home or business. By ensuring your policy is right at the beginning, you may find this more beneficial should you ever need to submit an insurance claim.

By providing this helpful guide, we hope to offer you with a better understanding of how insurance claims work and how important it is to have the right coverage in place within your insurance policy.

Home or business insurance claims can be very complicated, especially if you have been lucky enough to have never experienced one in the past. Public Loss Adjusters always recommend that if you have large business or home insurance claim, it is always advantageous to make use of an expert who is experienced in insurance claims management.

This could be an loss adjuster/assessor, a surveyor or other insurance claims management experts who are independent of your insurer. By having a professional working on your side, instead of your insurer’s, you will most likely experience a more positive outcome to your insurance claim.

Insurance Claims Policy Assistance

Call us now and let us assist. Click Here to contact us now.

Our A to Z of Insurance Terms

Accidental Damage

This is usually available as an add-on with most standard insurance policies. It usually protects both contents and the building against damage that you or someone else has caused by accident. This may be accidentally bursting a pipe with a nail or knocking a tin of paint over.

Act of God

An Act of God can be described as something that is unpreventable. This could include a lightning strike, flood damage, an earthquake or even war. In the past, the general misconception is that insurers will not pay out for an Act of God but in many cases this is untrue.

Some insurers will include a clause that states that they do not cover Acts of God. Always ensure that whilst taking out your insurance policy unexpected events are included in your policy.


This is a device that visually may potentially prevent your property from being burgled. If someone does break in then it will sound a very loud noise and may even automatically make the police, your alarm provider or yourself aware that you may be being burgled. Also, it may help you to lower the cost of your insurance policy.


This would be a change to your existing policy. For example; if a conservatory was added to your property, your policy should need to be amended to include this as the risk to the insurance provider may be increased.

Annual Premium

The annual cost of your home or business insurance, as set by your insurer and based on the level of cover and any added extras you may have.


An insurance broker can help you to find the right coverage and price for your policy. They can even help you if you are unfortunate enough to have to make a claim. With the emergence of price comparison websites, more people are using them instead to find the best deal for their home insurance.

Buildings Cover

This covers the building itself along with any permanent fixtures and fittings that you are legally responsible for. This should include fitted baths, toilets and kitchens. Insurance policies can also include garages and outbuildings such as sheds or greenhouses.


This is if you end your insurance policy before the end of its cover period. Generally, you may be charged a cancellation fee which will be stated in your terms and conditions. This may be a fee plus a fixed amount of notice period that is charged.

Certificate of Insurance

This is a legal document that is issued by your insurer and can be used as proof that you have an insurance policy in place. If you are applying for a mortgage, most banks will insist that a certificate of insurance is in place as part of the application process.

Claims History

This can make a difference to the price of renewing your policy. When applying for coverage your insurer will consider any previous claims you have made within a certain time within the last previous years when calculating your quote.

Also, when renewing your insurance policy always make sure that you shop around. Generally, your current insurer will not give you the best renewal rate unless you threaten to go elsewhere.

Compulsory Excess

This is the compulsory amount of money you must pay if you have to submit a claim that is accepted by your insurer. The compulsory excess can be as little as £50 or even up to £500. The amount is set when you take out your policy so make sure you choose an excess amount that suits you just in case you need to submit a claim.

Contents Cover

In most cases this is a separate policy to buildings cover and will insure your household possessions. This would generally include but not be restricted to all your furniture, appliances, household goods, frozen food, clothing, computers, gadgets and other personal items.

With some higher-value items such as jewellery, you may have to check your policy wording for any cover limits.

Cover Limits

This is a limit to the maximum cost the insurer will cover towards your claim. In some cases, we find that the policy is underinsured for damage that has occurred resulting in the policyholder having to cover the difference. We recommend that when you take out a new policy keep this in mind just in case the worst happens.

Due Diligence

As the policyholder, you are expected to be reasonably responsible for having to claim on insurance in cases which could have been prevented. This could be leaving doors unlocked or window open. It is also rumoured that insurance companies have checked the social media profiles of people who have been burgled whilst on holiday. This is to see if they have ‘advertised’ that their property was empty.


On top of your Compulsory Excess, this is the amount of money you also must pay towards your insurance claim. Setting the amount you would like to pay for both excess can influence the overall cost of your policy. You may find that some insurers will have a higher excess for cover such as subsidence. If the area where your property is located is prone to flooding this also may affect the price of your excess.


You may not be able to claim for certain types of risk or damage and these will be stated within your insurance policy. These will differ with individual insurers. An example may be leaving your property empty for more than 30 consecutive days.

Financial Ombudsman Service

This is a free service that policyholders may turn to if there is a dispute with their insurance claim. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is funded by the government and is there to act as an intermediary between you and your insurer.

Home Emergency Cover

Although some insurance policies will include a certain level of emergency coverage, generally, this is an optional extra. This may cover you for unexpected emergencies such as a boiler breakdown or the immediate aftermath of a water leak where your insurer may send out a plumber within a short period of time. In this case, it could also be beneficial to your insurer as the quicker the problem is rectified; the less damage may be caused.

Legal Expenses

Again, this is something that is generally offered as an added extra. It will cover any legal costs resulting from disputes with other individuals or businesses. However, should you lose your case, it would not be liable for the costs of any payouts.

Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors

Both are employed as experts to examine and assess your claim. They will let your insurer know how much it will cost to settle the claim. Generally, a loss adjuster is appointed by the insurer and a loss assessor or even a public loss adjuster is appointed by the policyholder.

Due to the complication of many insurance claims it has become more popular for policyholders to appoint an expert to act on their behalf with their insurance company. In many cases, this can result in a higher settlement as they are better equipped to deal with insurers as they can negotiate a fairer settlement figure.

New for Old

Most insurance policies now include this as standard but it is always worthwhile to check to make sure this is the case before you take out your policy. Basically, with New for Old, you will receive a similar item that is brand new. There are however exclusions which could generally be items such as antiques or other high-value objects.

No Claims Discount

If you haven’t made a claim on your insurance over a period of time you should be entitled to a no-claims discount each time you renew your policy or take out one with another provider. Most insurers will offer you a 10% discount for each full year that you have had an insurance policy in place where you have not had to make a claim. It is always worth checking how many years’ no-claim discount you can receive as this will vary with different providers.

Obligation to Notify

Insurers require you to notify them if of any changes to your circumstances or to your property that may affect your insurance coverage. If you have had any substantial building work on your property then you should make your insurer aware of this.

If you rent out a room to a lodger then also your insurer needs to be told. Also, be aware that if you have a CCJ or have been made bankrupt this also needs to be declared to your insurer. If you do not submit any of this information and you must make a claim, your insurer may reject it.

Optional Extras (Ancillaries)

These can be added to your policy in the time between when you receive your original quote and then take out your policy. It could be something such as legal cover or home emergency cover and you choose if you would like to pay extra to have them included within your insurance cover.

Period of Cover

This is the period in which you are covered which usually tends to be around 12 months.


The person or business who takes out the cover.

Rebuilding Costs

These are the costs to rebuild your property from scratch. This is the cost of everything but not your current market value as this would work out differently. When work this out you will need to consider your garden structures and any outbuildings.


This is the amount your insurer or potential insurer will charge you for their cover. We always recommend that you shop around, especially at renewal time. Many insurers will not at first, provide you with their best offer as they will be relying on the fact that you will just accept it rather than making the effort to find a better deal.

In the likely event that you do find a better quote elsewhere but would rather stay with your current supplier, your insurer may offer to improve their quote or match the best quote you have found.

Specified and Individual Items

These are items that may have a higher replacement value or are at a higher risk as they may be more attractive to thieves or burglars. This could also include items that are delicate or old. By bringing them to your insurer’s attention your policy premium may be adjusted to take them into consideration. With specified items, the amount you can claim may be limited. This could be as low as 25% of the sum the item is insured for.


Call us now and let us assist. Click Here to contact us now.

At Odds with Your Insurer? We Can Help?

Is your insurer dragging its feet with your insurance claim? We are here to help.

There are continuously thousands of property owners who still have ongoing property claims mainly due to flooding, burst pipe and fire with their insurers. On top of everything else, It can be an extremely frustrating and stressful time whilst your insurance claim is ongoing and your property needs cleaning up and repairing.

Your problems may become even worse if your insurance claim is being held up, in dispute or your insurer does not seem to be taking the matter with the urgency that you deserve.

What Difference Can You Make?

We Make all the difference simply by putting your interests first. Whilst your insurer may appoint a loss adjuster of their own to manage and assess your claim, the good news is that you are perfectly entitled to appoint loss assessors or a public loss adjuster to manage the claim on your behalf. In other words, they would be working for you rather than your insurer.

Simply put, your interests are far more important to us than your insurers!

Public Loss Adjusters are here to defend your rights as a paying customer for services that you have taken out with your insurer. Now that the worst has happened, the benefits of using the services that Public Loss Adjusters provide can make all the difference once your claim is settled.

With our insurance claims management services, we go above and beyond to ensure that our clients are completely satisfied with the services that we offer. We ensure that you receive your full financial entitlement and If required we can also arrange for reputable builders to repair your property.

Any building contractors that we recommend are only allowed to sign off on the completed repair work once you have signed a satisfaction mandate. This ensures that you are entirely happy with the work that has been carried out.

Why Would I Need a Public Loss Adjuster?

Smaller insurance claims can usually be settled without loss adjusters and loss assessors getting involved as they can be pretty straightforward. Sometimes what may originally appear to be a minor claim may not be as small as your think if you do not have the knowledge to assess it properly.

A larger insurance claim that could run into tens of thousands of pounds would usually require a specialist who knows exactly how to negotiate with your insurance provider. This would help to ensure that you receive your full entitlement based on the constraints written within your insurance policy.

If your home or business requires extensive repairs, our team of professionals are there to take the weight off your shoulders by organising repair work if you would like us to do so. Our loss adjusters will also deal directly with your insurer to ensure that you receive the settlement to which you are entitled.

In many cases, we can help to ensure that your claim can be settled at a faster pace. By taking over negotiations, we can put pressure on your insurer. We can be there to promptly provide any information that your insurer may need to speed up the claim. Alternatively, we can continuously chase up your insurer to ensure that they are acting on the information that we have provided on your behalf.

Will I Receive A Larger Settlement by Appointing You?

Without the help of an insurance claims management expert, would you really know how much your insurance claim is potentially worth? If your insurer directly offered you a settlement figure would you be able to confidently say that it was enough to compensate you for the cost of your loss?

How do you know that your insurer is offering you your full entitlement? We can make all the difference because of our years of experience in managing claims. By dealing with insurers on a daily basis we will know how to calculate your entitlement on a case-by-case basis.

Our job is to ensure that you receive your full entitlement based on the constraints of your individual insurance policy. By fully examining the finer details of your policy, our loss adjusters are able to identify everything that you are entitled to and negotiate accordingly.

Many people come to us because their insurer may have initially offered a settlement that is way below expectations. Our job would be to provide evidence that supports your case and justify why the settlement offer needs to be improved to an acceptable amount.

How Much Do You Charge for Your Services?

Our services are offered in one of two ways. If you would like us to manage the claim on its own resulting in a cash settlement we charge a straight 10% (plus vat) of the final amount. There are no upfront charges as our fees are deducted out of the final settlement.

We also offer our loss-adjusting services at no cost to you if you agree to appoint one of our recommended building contractors. With this option, our fee is covered by the appointed building company.

What Do Your Clients Have to Say About Your Services?

“Amazing Support and Service From PLA”
“If it was not for John I would have likely been disserviced by my own insurance company who treated me poorly throughout the whole saga of getting my home back to living condition. John was amazing in getting the insurance company to do right by me.”

“I would recommend Public Loss Adjusters LTD to anyone”
“Sean (our loss assessor) was fantastic and helped myself and my family through this awful experience. He was sympathetic yet professional.”

“They helped mediate with the insurance company who were clearly just delaying our claim and not wanting to settle. Every phone call/email was answered swiftly by Sean and he managed to settle the claim with minimal involvement from our side.”

“I would recommend Public Loss Adjusters LTD to anyone who happens to, unfortunately, find themselves in the position we were in.”

Mr Patel
“They were brilliant”
“All very friendly and got the job done. It was nice having someone on our side.”

“It was the best thing that we ever did in using their services.”
“PLA managed to negotiate a much higher claim to enable us to rebuild our house than we were offered. Would definitely recommend.”

“They fought to make sure we got 100%”
“My family were given a temporary house while all the work were being done and we didn’t have to do anything other than work with our own Loss Adjuster who was very particular and made sure we were updated and kept informed as well as held our hand through the entire nightmare.”

“We would recommend anyone with a property claim to use Public Loss Adjusting Group they are well worth their fees.”

Mr Barrett
“A Trustworthy Private Loss Adjuster”
“My advice to people – do not hesitate to use their services, especially if you have a big claim and problems with your insurance company.”

Mr Michail
“I cannot thank you personally enough”
“Thank you so much for being there and always phoning me back or sorting something out for me this past year. You have fought constantly for us and I know how tiring mentally it must have been for you.”

“You had to maintain a lot of promises, however, you pulled them through and delivered.”

“The claim was agreed at over £22,000”
“The initial offer from the insurer’s representatives was £940 which I knew was completely unrealistic. I appointed public Loss Adjusters and after their subsequent meeting with the insurers new loss adjusters the claim was agreed at over £22,000.”

“I would recommend to one and all”
“It was just like a DIY – SOS TV program. I only wish more people knew that there is help and advice available.”

“I would not normally endorse anything as I am a real picky old bat – but this was just fantastic”
“It honestly felt like someone lifted a HUGE responsibility of my shoulders and I could then concentrate on re-designing the kitchen/house. I received far more financially than I could have ever hoped to receive in addition to higher accommodation allowance, contents payments etc.”

Ms L Boa

Read more of our customer testimonials

Find Out How We Can Help With Your Insurance Claim

Don’t Settle For Less! Settle For The Best. If you would like to learn more about how Public Loss Adjusters put our clients interests above all else, please feel free to call our team of experts on 0800 434 999. Our helpline is available 24 hours a day.


The PLA Guide To Buildings Insurance

Thinking About Getting Building Insurance?

Choosing The Right Policy May Not Be As Easy As You Think!

Your home is of the utmost importance to you. If anything were to happen to your home, it would devastate you. Thus, it is essential to obtain the right level of building insurance so that if anything bad does happen, then you’re covered.

You should always insure your property, especially if you have a mortgage against it. If any damage has happened, then the insurance covers the cost of repairing the structure. This excludes any damage to any belongings inside the house, such as a bed or a TV. This is because these items would file under contents insurance. Here are some important things that you may know, or may not know, about building insurance.

If You Own A Building, Then You Need Building Insurance!

The law forces you to buy building insurance. This is because it protects your home from any damage. This includes everything to do with the structure of your house. Plus, any extra extensions or fittings that you might add to your property. Depending on your policy, this may include any garages, patios, pipes, Understanding Insurance Premuimsor drains.

Coverage Factors That May Change The Cost of Your Policy

Buildings insurance may cover anything that could harm your property. Some events could be a burst pipe, water, and fire damage, subsidence, or any natural disasters. If you have made a claim before, you may have an increased policy cost and excess for any policy you may take out in the immediate future.

Insurance excess is the amount you agree to contribute towards any claim that you make. It deducts from the insurance payout. Some matters that building insurance usually will not cover are animal pests, rot, and general wear and tear. Exclusions are where an insurance company doesn’t payout. This could be for any reason. Such as company policy or lack of coverage inserted within the small print of the insurance policy.

Understanding What Insurance Premiums Are

An insurance premium is an amount that you have to pay for an insurance policy. This amount varies for the different policies you may take out. The amount works out as how much it would cost to rebuild the property if irreparable damage were to happen to it. This differs depending on where you live and the value of your house. But, it is not based on the market value of the property.

Cover All Options When Choosing Your Policy!

Always read the small print. It is always recommended to read the insurance policy yourself. This is because if you don’t, you may find unexpected charges. The figure that the insurer is offering may not exactly mirror the cost to rebuild the property.

This may mean that you could be underinsured leaving you vulnerable to any extra damage. To work out the rebuild cost, one of the best ways is to hire a professional to give you a quote. This way it is more likely that you’ll get a precise sum. You can also get an online quotation if you check your house by yourself. This requires more effort and knowledge of the property but it is also cheaper.

Don’t Buy The First Policy You See – Compare, Compare Compare!

To get the building cover that you desire, it is critical to shop around to find one that suits you best. These different insurance companies will present you with an array of quotes. This is due to such high demand. It is worth looking at many policies and reading the terms and conditions for these policies.

A great added extra in a potential insurance policy to look out for would be “alternate accommodation”. The insurance would cover you and your family if you were forced to move to temporary accommodation. This could be in a hotel or renting a property for a short time while the property is getting repaired.

Having Problems With an Insurance Claim?

Insurance Claims Help
Basic Cover Or Added Extras?

When you are looking to buy building insurance, you have the opportunity to choose whether you would like any more cover or added extras in case of any emergencies such as accidental damage.

For example; if you were to drill through a wire within a wall cavity, then this would be classed as accidental damage. The insurance company can cover this you by paying for the damage caused.

Legal expenses are another optional extra. If you need legal help over a dispute with a neighbour, then insurance policies can cover the cost for this.

Home emergencies are another extra that provides cover for a customer. For example, if there was a plumbing issue in the house that needed fixing, then this policy could cover it.

Cheaper Insurance OptionsDon’t Be Pressured Into Buying A Building Policy Off Your Lender – There May Be Cheaper Options!

Many people think that they must take out building insurance from the same provider as their mortgage. This is not the case. Many other insurance providers may have better options for the cover that suits you and you may keep premiums smaller as a result of this.

Some insurance providers prefer monthly premiums. But generally most providers will charge extra when compared paying your premium in full annually.

Would it be in the customer’s best interest to pay a higher excess should the worst happen? By doing this your premium can be priced at a lower rate. But it would be your personal choice as to whether you would prefer to pay a little more each year on the policy or take a bigger hit on your excess should you need to claim.

It may be beneficial for policyholders to try and increase the amount of years without making a claim as it adds to the no claim bonus. Many prefer not to put this at risk with a relatively small claim by paying for minor repairs out of your our pocket as it may help you save money on your policy renewal prices in future years. This should only happen if the policyholder can afford to do so.

Why You Should Never Auto-Renew!

When your annual cover is due to end, you will get an option to auto-renew. This is never a good idea unless you are offered a really great renewal price. I fact, it has now become common practice for you to have tell your insurer that you do not want to renew with then. Otherwise, they will just  automatically renew your policy for another year.

The customer should compare providers and warn of the threat of switching providers. This would make sure that they aren’t up to any funny business.

Beware of Disqualification!

Policyholders lose their insurance cover without even realizing it. If you were to leave the property empty for a certain amount of time. which is stated on your policy, then some providers will cancel your insurance.

Policyholders make improvements to their property without letting the insurance company know. This could be grounds for cancellation. Most insurance providers need some notice if you were to have any extensions made to your house. An example of this would be a conservatory.


In conclusion, everyone has to take out building insurance if they own a property. That’s the law. This doesn’t mean that you should sign up for the first one you see. It is important to shop around to see which policies apply to you the most. You should always read the terms and conditions of the policies.

This will prevent you from any hidden extras that might make you change your mind. Finally, always make a note of when the insurance expires. This is a perfect opportunity for you to get better deals on insurance. This could be by threatening to take your custom elsewhere. But, if you auto-renew the insurance policy, you could be accountable to many hidden fees. So it is important to keep track of it.

Need Help With Your Insurance Claim?

Have you have suffered from any insured damage to your property? Are you are not happy with the way your insurers are managing your claim? Don’t settle for less! Public Loss Adjusters can help. If you would like assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. We are available 24/7 so we will always cater to your needs. Whether that’s fire damage, water damage or anything of the like. Then we will help you get the settlement that you are owed. Call now on 08000 434 999!


Latest Job Vacancies at Public Loss Adjusters

We Are Hiring Loss Adjusters.
Do you have what it takes to become a loss adjuster who works on behalf of the public? Due to ongoing expansion, we are proud to announce that we currently have vacancies for experienced loss adjusters throughout the UK. We’re currently looking to add 8 loss adjusters to our fantastic team in order to help assist our clients. If you are an experienced loss adjuster who would rather ensure that your client’s interests are put above anything else then we may be the company to work for.

By working as a freelance loss adjuster, you may be able to work fewer hours whilst earning more money. As we work on behalf of the policyholder, rather than the insurer, you will find that there will be fewer complaints from our clients due to the fact that it is their interests we are looking after.

We are a reputable insurance claims management company who are a CILA Chartered Firm (The Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters). You would also be expected to gain CILA qualifications whilst in our employment.

Why Work for PLA?
  • Work Fewer Hours for more money
  • All instructions are supplied so there is no sales pitching or chasing required.
  • You will be working with a much happier clientele than a loss adjuster who works on behalf of the insurer.
  • Our clients don’t settle for less – neither should you.

Would you like less stress in your life and think of working for the client on a direct basis? If this is could be for you then get in touch.

We require 8 Loss Adjusters around the UK to handle our client’s claims ranging from 20K to 500K.

If you could make the difference to our clients when they need it most please feel free to contact us.

Call or email us in the strictest confidence to find out more.

Email: [email protected] or call 08000 434 999


Mental Health Concerns Due To Insurance Claims

New Research finds that the after-effects of flooding could cause PTSD, Stress and Depression.

Experts claim that flooding can affect mental health for years after such an event. Victims of flooding have a massive 50% chance of suffering issues such as PTSD, stress and depression. Research states that a quarter of victims still suffer these conditions two years on.

Most low-income households live on tidal flood plains and according to the Mirror around 61% of these households have no home contents insurance. This creates a huge financial risk if a flood was to happen. During the most recent Flood Action Week, the environmental agency advised householders to “prepare, act, survive.”

These 3 steps could help preserve your mental health and possibly save your life. It calls for floodplain residents to prepare by moving valuables upstairs and keeping a bag of vital medicine and documents in a safe and dry place that is accessible during a flood.

Insured But Not Covered?

Public Loss Adjusters contacted Pam Webb who owns the Truffle Lodge in South Yorkshire. She was massively affected by last November’s floods after her spa and hotel were submerged in the floods causing huge amounts of damage.

Unfortunately, we were unable to help due to her insurance company excluding flood damage from her policy. This is why it is always best to look through your policy just in case events like these happen and make sure you have the necessary cover.

Pam had underestimated the huge impact this would have on her mental health. The Mirror was able to gather a few words from her about the effects it’s had on her.

“Doncaster council suggested getting mental health teams in after the floods, I thought that was over the top – but how wrong was I? I’ve had the stress of trying to build a business back up, to provide income for my staff and to recover my home.”

Where possible, you should always contact us before your insurer! This provides us with the opportunity to gather vital details, so we have the strongest possible claim to ensure you receive your full entitlement. 

National Helpline: 08000 434 999

Or Request a Call Back

Flood Resilience

Flood resilience campaigner Mary Dhonau has been flooded 12 times, including one time where her home was filled with waist-high sewage.

She described to the Mirror that living through a flood is “the most appalling experience.” She went on to say that “When you lose your home that layer of safety is taken away from you.” Caroline Douglass of the Environment Agency had this to say to the Mirror “It’s not just the financial stress, it’s the loss of irreplaceable sentimental belongings and the strain on those effected”.

All in all, it is clear that flooding can take a great toll on mental health, to prevent and mitigate the strain on your mental health during flooding its best to follow whatever your local council advises, even if that means evacuating the area.

Click here to read the original article from the Mirror Online.

How Public Loss Adjusters Can Help

Public Loss Adjusters offer a highly sophisticated claims management service to those who need it.

In the case of Pam Webb, she was one of the many unfortunate policy holders to be denied any form of pay-out, she had lost everything. Unfortunately, her policy did not cover this type of damage. We believe she did not know this at the time of taking out the policy. This is why we recommend that everybody who takes insurance check that they are covered for all possible events.

By doing so, Public Loss Adjusters are then able to jump in an assist policy holders where insurers denying settlements based on the wording within that policy which could be interpreted to their advantage. Our job is to argue and interpret your policy’s “grey or misleading areas” back to your favour.

For large incidents, such as flooding across local communities, we believe having your own loss adjuster is vital as insurance companies will be extremely busy. Otherwise this could cause insurance claims to take longer to process.

Not only that but during a flood you need to be focused on remaining safe and not dealing with the long tedious processes that come with arguing an insurance claim. We take as much of the stress away as we can by managing your claim on your behalf. Not only do we aim to get you your full entitlement, we will aim to speed the whole process up, where possible by consistently pressuring your insurance provider.

Let Us Take Your Worries Away

With expert loss adjusters throughout the whole of the UK we are ready to help you with your insurance claim. If you feel your insurer is not being up-front or if your building repair estimates don’t match up to amount your insurer is offering, then our claims management team can help.

Our goal is to get YOU your full entitlement! We achieve this through a process that scrutinizes your policy for any clauses and small print to make sure nothing covered in your policy is missed. We also aim to settle claims a lot faster than your insurance company would.

When we act on your behalf, we manage all negotiations with the insurer. We call you and update you whenever there is new information making sure you are constantly aware of how your claim is going. This significantly reduces any stress or hassle on your behalf whenever you make a claim.

The best time to appoint us is before you make a claim however the majority of our clients come to us when the begin to face issues with the insurer. To get in touch you can make an enquiry by calling us on 08000 434 999.


The Martin Lewis of Home Insurance Claims?

Another Mission To Ensure Flood Victims Are Fully Compensated

Increasingly becoming known as the Martin Lewis of the home insurance claims sector, PLA’s very own Michael Williamson has again recently been featured on TV. His quest? To ensure that policyholders are fully compensated by their insurer in their time of need. Fresh from his appearance on The One Show, this time Micheal is featured on a snippet from the BBC News magazine show Look North.

This snippet highlights mistakes that insurers have made, whilst Flood victim Lorna and her family are depending on them to act fast and settle their claim in a fair manner. Yet again, Micheal is frustrated by how insurers are dealing with the claims of their clients and wants to help.

Public Loss Adjusters client Lorna had her property flooded a year ago. She was only offered £7,000 by her insurer and it still hasn’t been repaired! According to Michael, the real cost to repair the damage is more like £40,000 and he has stepped in to try and speed the claim up and get Lorna her full entitlement. Watch the video below.

Transcript From Video

Bentley in Doncaster was hit hard by the floods of November 2019. Lorna and her family were forced to move out of their home and into a caravan in their back garden. They’ve been stuck there ever since because of a catalogue of problems they’ve had with their insurance company. They were only offered seven thousand pounds to repair the house when it will cost 40 thousand pounds.

 “The water we dealt with the year of sheer rubbish that we’ve had from the insurance company has destroyed the family. Because all we want is a home back. We don’t want anything more than we’re entitled to. All our kids have asked for, for Christmas is they don’t want a present, they want it so we can sit in our kitchen and eat a Christmas dinner that I’ve cooked them.”

Lorna says the stress caused by not being back in their home has had a devastating impact on her, her partner and their two children.

“It’s broken our family. We don’t know when this house is put back together whether our family will be a family. We don’t know and that’s for me to do the worst of it.”

To fight their corner with the insurance company they took on Michael who is a loss adjuster. He’s supporting more than 40 homeowners who flooded last year in South Yorkshire and are in a similar position.

“I have one, two, three in this street that are still out of their home a year after. They have been left in a terrible position. They are a year down the line and they are at a position where they should have been approximately one month after the claim in reality.”

In a statement Claire and Lorna’s insurance underwriters RSA said; There was an early mistake in the process which we quickly resolved. We’re sorry that have. Claire and Lorna’s claim didn’t go as well as it should.

Lorna and her family have been told they’ll be back in their home by Christmas. Their insurers have now committed to covering most of the costs of repairs. They hope to be able to put the nightmare of the last 12 months behind them.

*Transcript took from BBC Look North

Credit: Mark Ansel

Follow Mark’s Blog


Working From Home? Is Your Insurance Invalid?

Tens of millions of British people are risking invalidating their home insurance if they continue to work from home. As of the 1st August 2020 the UK government started to ease the Covid-19 lockdown encouraging people to return to their workplace. Yet, 26% of people are planning to continue working from the safety of their homes on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. It’s said that seven in ten people are unaware that they may need to inform their home insurance provider of changes in their circumstances.

With over half of customers stating that they have received little to no communication from their insurer. It is understandable why there is confusion about how these changes could impact them.

Association of British Insurers

Due to the lockdown the Association of British Insurers (ABI) stated that; “customers would not need to inform their insurer if they work from home while government advice is to do so”. With the government encouraging people to return to work it is unclear if this statement will change. According to the ABI the pledge will evaluated on September 1st. Until then, home insurance “will not be affected regardless of the government’s advice to return to work”. They are also advising customers to inform their insurer as soon as possible if they are continuing to work from home.

ABI also declared “If you will be receiving visitors to your home on business matters, you should check with your insurer. Business equipment used is likely not to be covered. However, in most cases the employer would be liable for ensuring their equipment is insured away from the office.”

Urban Jungle CEO, Jimmy Williams has suggested that the inflexibility from some insurers may push customers to consider switching providers. Williams says “What insurers are arguing is that it will change your risks because you might spill more tea on your laptop”

What Insurers are doing?

A spokesperson for the Direct Line Group told The Independent “Customers are covered under their home insurance policy to work from home, as long as their work is of a clerical nature, such as using a phone or laptop. Customers do not need to notify us of this change in working pattern.” Yet if the individuals working from home role is not clerical in nature their insurer should be informed and any necessary changes are made.

Aviva have agreed to “help customers and businesses since lockdown began, we also treat home office equipment as ‘contents’ and would pay up to the contents sum insured for any valid claim. All other policy conditions/terms remain unchanged.” Aviva’s policy remains unchanged after August 1st ease.

Working From Home

Finder.com has found that they have been a 57% increase to people claiming for accidental damage during the Covid-19 pandemic. The changes to customer behavior may become a challenge for the insurance industry. Mr. Williams stated There have been some interesting changes in behavior. One such change is the one of the top claims now being “I’ve spilt tea on my laptop”.

He notes that if your business runs out of your home or sell things online, your stock would not be covered, requiring you to have specialist policy.

Working from home is not without its grey areas. Many companies are offering ‘work-from-home kits’ however these belong to your employer, not you. This may mean that it is not covered by your home insurance. There for these kits are your employer’s responsibility and they are providing them at their own risk.

Our Response

Public Loss Adjusters always recommend that if you have any change in circumstances contact your insurer immediately to let them know. Even if your insurer does not acknowledge these changes at the time, you will be able to prove that these have been communicated with them.

Full article can be found at here.


Waiting on Your Flood Claim To Be Settled?

Public Loss Adjusters Services Recognised in National Press

The services of Public Loss Adjusters have been acknowledged in a article printed in the Daily Mail and thisismoney.co.uk by Miles Dilworth.

Since the flooding in Fishlake, Doncaster in November of last year, the article highlights many of the problems that policyholders have endured whilst dealing with their insurers.

The article also mentions the benefits that homeowners who have appointed Public Loss Adjusters are seeing thank to our negotiating skills with their insurers.

With the unprecedented amount of flooding that has occurred this month we believe this article highlights the importance of appointing PLA at the earliest possible opportunity. This will ensure that your flood claim is managed with your interests put first.

Read the full article below!

National Helpline 08000 434 999

Or Request a Call Back
Victims From FOUR Months Ago Remain Homeless Because Insurers Are Quibbling Over Repairs
  • Experts slam ‘unhelpful attitudes’ stopping victims getting back on track
  • We speak to families battling insurers months after homes were destroyed
  • In 2016 the Government set up insurance service Flood Re
  • It was supposed to ensure that anyone living in a flood zone could get cover
  • But some homeowners are still being rejected by insurers

Homeowners recovering from last year’s devastating floods are still fighting to secure insurance payouts while others are nowhere nearer moving back into their homes.

As parts of Britain face record floods, Money Mail has spoken to families who are battling insurers up to four months after their homes were destroyed.

Experts have criticised the ‘unhelpful attitudes’ of some firms, which are stopping victims getting their lives back on track.

Craig Elliott’s bungalow in Fishlake, South Yorkshire, was submerged under 4ft of water after the River Don burst its banks last November.

He says that he and his wife Mary, 63, are still unable to move back home.

Craig, 59, says his walls, floorboards and bathroom need to be stripped and replaced because they have been contaminated with sewage.

But he says Trinity Claims is only offering to put laminate over the floorboards to cover the swelling, patch over damaged plaster and clean the bathroom.

The retired electrician, who is living in a caravan, says the firm ‘is doing as little as it can’.

‘There are 12 bungalows along my street and they’ve all been sorted,’ he adds. ‘They’ve been an absolute nightmare.

They’re basically trying to bodge my house back together. We haven’t slept for 14 weeks. We’re in bits.

‘It’s everything we’ve ever worked for. I had it perfect. I just had a new kitchen fitted. I’d just retired thinking now we can enjoy ourselves a bit. Then this happened and we’re in purgatory.’

He is insured with Policy Expert, who referred him to Trinity Claims. The father-of-two appointed Public Loss Adjusters to step in for a second opinion on February 13.

Director Andrew Price says: ‘This is the worst management of a flood claim where liability has been fully accepted I have seen.

‘I am also managing the property next door — it was fully stripped out and drying is due to complete next week.’

Trinity Claims says it found ‘a pre-existing ventilation issue’, which had caused wood decay and was not covered under Craig’s policy. It says there is ‘no physical damage to the bathroom’.

A spokesman added that once it was granted permission by the homeowner, it would begin work to reinstate the property, including replacing kitchen units, within a fortnight.

It said work would then be completed within four to six weeks, ‘with all work covered by a two-year guarantee’.

Mike Rosser’s family home was flooded in Stoney Stanton, Leicestershire, in October. The house is still uninhabitable.

He says his claims handler Trinity Claims told him his kitchen appliances didn’t need replacing because their motors were above water level.

But Mike, an engineer, turned his washing machine upside down to show that the motor was at risk and offered to do the same with the tumble drier, dishwasher and fridge-freezer.

He says Trinity Claims agreed to replace the goods as a result. The father-of-two says it also refused to pay for a replacement kitchen, despite replacing that of a neighbour on an adjacent street, whose water damage was identical.

Trinity Claims agreed to pay for the family’s accommodation until February 10, the date it said it would have completed the work by.

Mike, 38, opted to take the cash settlement and do the work himself. Mike says it has left him several thousand pounds out of pocket.

Trinity Claims says: ‘We have settled Mr Rosser’s claim and paid him the amounts under his policy. He did not raise a complaint with us.’ Mike says he saw no point in raising a formal complaint until he had moved back home.

Neighbour, Liz Perry, 54, is also still in temporary accommodation. Her home is still too wet for work to begin.

She says this is partly because she was not advised by Trinity Claims to turn her central heating back on until the end of January.

February Flooding in the UK
Flooding has affected properties throughout the UK in February

Trinity Claims says it told her to do so in November, which she denies. She adds: ‘Even if they had, the gas boiler requires electricity and Trinity had disconnected its electricity supply.’

Michael Wilson, regional director at insurance dispute company Flaxmans, says he has noted ‘unhelpful attitudes’ from some firms.

He said of Craig’s case: ‘Any loss adjuster could look at a case like that and find relatively minor issues that they’re going to be awkward on, rather than taking a broad-brush approach and saying this family has experienced a disaster, let’s get them back on their feet.

But they’re still discussing the basics.’ He added: ‘It’s a fundamental principle of insurance that the policyholder is put back in the same position as they were before the loss.’

In 2016 the Government set up insurance service Flood Re to ensure that anyone living in a flood zone could get affordable cover.

But some homeowners are still being rejected by insurers. Heather Shepherd, of the National Flood Forum, says the organisation’s helpline has received hundreds of calls from householders in at-risk areas complaining that insurers won’t cover their homes.

National Helpline 08000 434 999

Or Request a Call Back

Heather, 60, who lives on a farmhouse with her husband near Shrewsbury, decided to test the stories by applying for contents insurance with two insurers ‘with good reputations’ — NFU Mutual and Ecclesiastical.

She says Ecclesiastical turned her down without giving a reason and she battled with NFU for more than a year before giving up.

‘It was one obstacle after another, never admitting that it was because I was in a flood zone,’ she adds. ‘First they said I didn’t have the building insured with them so I agreed to add that.

Then they said my three cars weren’t with them, so I offered to add those. Then they said one of the cars was too old for them to insure. They were clearly trying to avoid insuring me because I was a flood risk.’

Flood Re cites research by Consumer Intelligence showing 93 per cent of householders whose properties have been flooded can now find quotes from five or more insurers, compared with none before Flood Re was set up.

Chief executive Andy Bord says 94 per cent of UK home insurers are signed up to the scheme but ‘the decision on whether to pass the flood element of a specific policy to Flood Re lies with the insurer’.

NFU says it could not insure Heather because ‘her circumstances did not meet our acceptance criteria’.

It added that it tried to work with customers to ‘reduce their ‘overall risk profile — for example if they have other assets requiring cover that are not flood affected’.

Ecclesiastical says it ‘is a specialist insurer offering specialist products and cover in our chosen markets’, adding: ‘All insurance companies have different underwriting acceptance, policies, cover and pricing.’

An Association of British Insurers spokesman says: ‘It is a sad fact that badly flooded homes and businesses can take months to fully dry out, and insurers will do everything possible to speed up the drying out process, so that the repairs can begin and homeowners and businesses can get their lives back together.’

Additional reporting: Hugo Cox

[email protected]

Source: This is Money


PLA Featured on The One Show

Highlighting The Services We Can Offer

On Tuesday 11th February 2020 The One Show hosted a segment featuring Michael Williamson and Andrew Price from Public Loss Adjusters (PLA). The show highlighted the difference between using an insurers loss adjuster or those who work on behalf of the public.

The Segment featured current PLA clients who had suffered flood damage to their properties in Fishlake, Doncaster in November 2019. The show highlighted the fact that many people do not know about the kind of services we can offer by having someone working on your side instead.

The UK’s Massive Flooding Issues

With the clean-up of the damage left by storm Ciara now well underway thousands of people are already counting the costs. As previous victims of flooding have found, there is still a long way to go before their lives can get back to normal.

During the past decade flooding has become a growing problem all across the UK. Some of the worst hit areas were Somerset in 2013, West Yorkshire four years ago and South Yorkshire late last year.

Barry a Fishlake resident who was affected in last Novembers flood said this “It just came so quickly with no time to rescue anything”. Once the water had subsided some people were waiting months for insurance claims to be paid.

To battle any potential delays, 30 homeowners in Fishlake are turning to the independent loss adjusting firm, Public Loss Adjusters.

What Is A Loss Adjuster?

A loss adjuster is somebody appointed by either the insurance company or by the homeowner to manage a claim on their behalf and to look after their interests. While it is common for loss adjusters to work for an insurance company.

The insurance industry says its rare for individuals to employ them. But why are people doing this? Ultimately, it is because the insurance companies are dealing with volume.

They have hundreds of claims that they struggle to cope with. Then you become a number. Our objective is to get a claim completed and get the owners back in the house.

Public Loss Adjusters charge a fee of 10% of the settlement plus VAT, unless the homeowner uses their recommended contractor, in which case that contractor will pay the fee.

How We Are Helping Barry and Shelia’s Claim.

The first thing Public Loss Adjusters do when taking on a new claim is inspect the damage. If we take a look at our recent clients Barry and Shelia, there home was flooded, and the flood water reached 3 feet high. There was mold spreading around the corners of rooms. All the wood fixtures and plaster need taking out so the dehumidifiers can concentrate on drying the fabrics in the building.

The kitchen tiles are cracked showing that the concrete is full of moisture. This shows the extensive damage caused and the massive amount of money it will cost to repair.  Barry and his wife Shelia lived in the property for 17 years. They are now living in temporary accommodation.

Barry was asked why he choose to use Public Loss Adjusters instead of dealing directly with his insurer. He said this “I think were progressing faster this way you know, I can have someone to talk to rather than you are number 27 in the queue to speak to someone” Before any work could get underway, There was the big problem of Barry’s heating system.

The oil tank in Barry’s garden had collapsed which lead to the fuel line breaking. This caused an estimated 600 litres of heating oil to be leaked into the house via the flood water. The oil sat in the house for several days!

Public Loss Adjusters received conservative costs of around £60,000 for the excavation, the treatment and the exposure of the concealed oil. If the oil were to contaminate the foundations, It could be a lot more.

Public Loss Adjusters are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Barry authorised us to negotiate with his insurance company on his behalf. Barry is convinced that after employing Public Loss Adjusters his claim has been fast tracked.

Repairs have already been agreed on in principal, but they are going to take a long time to complete. Surveyors told Barry “its going to be at least a year” before they can move back in. Barry is remaining positive however noting that his wife Shelia will “enjoy buying all the new furniture”.

How PLA Are Helping Mark Sangallo’s Claim

Another client of ours. Mark Sangallo was also affected by the floods. He had just finished renovating the downstairs of his home when the floods hit. Like Barry, Mark came to us for help speeding up his claim.

Mark was asked if Public Loss Adjusters have helped him. He said this “Definitely, it takes the pressure off of you chasing the insurers. I know people say you can just ring up, but at the time I don’t want the hassle its better to leave it to them who know”. Marks claim couldn’t be agreed on as the insures needed to also inspect the damage.

So, he couldn’t do anything at the time. That meant everyday the problems were getting worse. He said this “You get mold upstairs on the lampshades on the bed on the table. If it doesn’t go out soon, I’m guessing it’s going to damage everything else”.

The loss adjusters working the claim at the time said this “It’s frustrating for us because we can see the damage upstairs happening and we can’t really stop it until we get approval to carry out work.” The other Loss Adjuster said this “If we don’t tackle it soon the bills going to increase”.

Mark is currently living with family and says it will be at least 10 mounts before he can move back in! But he’s trying to stay positive. “You’ve got to go away from it, Pick your head up, and carry on and just hope everything clicks into place”.

According to the British Association of Insures anyone effected by flooding should contact their insurance company in the first instance for immediate help and advice.

This is true, but for you to get the best possible help. Then you should appoint a loss adjuster as early in the claim as possible and not when you start to face issues with the insurer.

*Transcript taken from The One Show.


Flood Claims! PLA Featured on the BBC!

Insurance and Loss Adjusting in the Spotlight on the BBC After Doncaster Floods

Recently, one of our Loss Adjusters, Michael Williamson, conducted an interview on the BBC’s Inside Out program. The show talked about the problems policyholders face with insures and how an Independent Loss Adjuster can assist.

The programme featured 4 homeowners, all of whom have been affected by the November floods and 3 of whom are Public Loss Adjusters customers, Mr Armstrong, Mr and Mrs Griffin & Mrs Clarkson.

The show stated that the average value of a flood claim is around £30,000 – this is around 10 times higher than the average property damage claim. Most policyholders in Yorkshire have found it difficult to deal with insurers and have experienced a below par service from them.

Problematic Insurance Companies?

Victim of the 2019 Doncaster floods Pat Meadows' home still in disrepair after 3 months

Mr and Mrs Griffin’s property suffered flood damage which covered their electricity fuse box and resulted in their home being without electricity, other than two plug sockets, however, they were expected to remain in the property.

Public Loss Adjusters arranged for one of their network contractors to reinstate the electricity supply so that drying could commence at the property whilst the insurance company disputed whether or not they were liable.

Mr and Mrs Griffin were unaware of the difficulties being experienced in the background in order to get liability accepted. Thankfully, after difficult negotiations with the insurance company, they eventually agreed to pay for the re-wire required at the property.

Mrs Clarkson’s property was declared dry by Insurer’s appointed representatives. Not satisfied with the service she was receiving, Mrs Clarkson appointed Public Loss Adjusters to act on her behalf.

We arranged for a trusted, local contractor to inspect the subfloor (which had previously been declared dry) who exposed residual moisture and mould growth. Following the involvement of Public Loss Adjusters, Insurers have agreed that the property was not satisfactorily dried and that additional works are required.

Mr Armstrong is also a customer of Public Loss Adjusters and we have represented him from the beginning of his claim. Due to our early involvement and the insurance company appointing an experienced Loss Adjuster, the claim has so far progressed well.

Hiring Your Own Loss Adjuster

Hiring your own Loss Adjuster will help to ensure that you achieve the best settlement under your insurance policy. Mr Griffin’s Insurers initially declined liability for re-wiring of the property on the grounds that it was not required as a result of the flood.

Using our experience in interpreting policies and using local and public authority clauses, we were able to put together a professional and qualified response to Insurers to demonstrate that the damage was covered, which saved Mr Griffin thousands of pounds in the process.

A spokesperson for the Association of British Insurers (ABI) claimed that a Loss Adjuster is “not always required”. However, we believe that if you are facing issues with insurers, a Loss Adjuster is your best option.

As Michael from Public Loss Adjusters stated on the programme, “We are here to take the emails, take the calls and do the negotiating”. We do not seek to prey on those effected by flooding, but to offer our advice and support when they need it most.

The ABI are representatives of Insurers and whilst their spokesperson may suggest that a public Loss Adjuster is not always required, we believe that appointing your own professional to assist in a specialised area such as insurance is always beneficial to you as a customer.

Insurance is a complex contract and, in many cases, can represent the most important contract you may sign to protect your assets. Could you imagine buying a house without the assistance of a Solicitor?

We are there to ensure that your claim is handled with urgency and that the settlement will cover all the costs of your repairs. If you have been affected by the flooding or are facing issues with your insurance, please get in touch with us by calling 08000 434 999.

Click Here to watch the program in Full.


Landlords Urged To Check Insurance Cover!

PLA Director Gary Rogers recently attended a meeting of the National Landlord Association (NLA) to deliver a powerful message to their members – Make Sure You Check Your Insurance Policy To Ensure You Have The Correct Cover!

After Gary’s presentation, this is what Karen Gregory, an NLA representative had to say:-

“I want to thank you for such a thought-provoking presentation. Whilst insurance is not the most interesting of subjects it certainly gets people going when they consider they may not have enough or the right type of insurance covering their properties. Several landlords came up to me after the meeting to say that they were certainly going to be checking their policies!”

As a recognised supplier to the NLA, Public Loss Adjusters offer a free 30-minute consultation to all members in need, who would like advice during an insurance claim related to their property.

Landlords should always ensure that they have the right amount of insurance cover just in case the worst happens.

As loss adjusters who work on behalf of the public, we are here to ensure that you receive your full entitlement whereas, you may not do so if your claim is managed by your insurer’s appointed loss adjuster!

Gary Rogers recommends that first and foremost you check your insurance policy to ensure that you are covered for all eventualities. As a landlord, your property portfolio could be a major source of income which you need to protect!

By having the appropriate coverage Public Loss Adjusters are armed with better negotiating power when dealing with your insurers. The last this you want is to have your claim rejected based on something you hadn’t foreseen when you took out your cover.

If you would like to book a free 30-minute consultation with one of our experts please feel free to call PLA Today on 08000 434 999.


Flood Claims Workshop in Doncaster

Due to the recent flooding in South Yorkshire, Public Loss Adjusters will be holding 2 insurance claims help workshops in Doncaster. Our aim is to offer help and advice to members of the public in managing their insurance claims.

Our qualified Loss Adjusters will be present at the two following addresses tomorrow and Wednesday to provide assistance to our customers and members of the public following the devastating floods.

We request that you bring your policy details with you so we can provide accurate advice.  We can provide free advice on what to expect from your insurers, how best to mitigate your loss and confirm areas of cover that are in place on your policy.

For those wanting the full Public Loss Adjusting, you will receive full handling and management of your claim to ensure that you are treated fairly by the insurers until satisfactory completion of the claim, if you decide to use one of our builders to complete the work they pay our fee (buildings).  Full terms and conditions can be located on the website or provided by hand.

Two businesses had kindly agreed to let us use their properties to help the local community: Custom Doors and Windows  & S4All Community Library and Charity Shop

Please feel free to come along and find out what help is available to you.

Where To Find Us

S4ALL Community Library and Charity Shop

Church Rd, Stainforth, Doncaster, DN7 5PW.

Workshop Time: 9am – 4pm

Next door to Post Office.

Custom Windows & Doors

Conyers Road, Bentley, Doncaster, DN5 9SU

Workshop Time: 11am – 3pm

Tel: 01302 786 330

Advice On Staying Safe This Bonfire Night

The Dangers of fireworks

Every single year, both adults and children are injured and harmed by fireworks and other pyrotechnics in the UK. But did you know that the Department for Business Innovation & Skills stopped collecting firework injury and accident data in 2005? This means that the legislation and enforcement are much harder to set due to the fact that less data is now shown.

Firework accident data shows that from 1997-2005, 1048 people on average each year were involved in firework accidents and injuries and in 2005, which was the last recorded data for firework injuries, 990 people were injured by firework accidents.

Click here to read our guide on what to do in case of a fire.

Did you know?
  • A rocket can reach 150 miles an hour.
  • A sparkler can reach temperatures of up to 2,000 degrees which is 20 times the boiling point of water.
  • Fireworks are one of the most common causes of house fires in the UK.

Other than family and friends the home should be the most protected during any sort of firework display.

What To Do To Stay Safe

When attending a firework display or holding your own firework display, make sure the firework safety code is followed at all times during the night.

  • Always aim fireworks away from your own home to avoid damage to your house.
  • Always keep fireworks in the box.
  • Don’t drink alcohol if involved in the setting up and setting off fireworks procedure.
  • Only buy and use fireworks with the marked code BS 7114.
  • Follow instructions using any Pyrotechnics.
  • Stand a good distance from the fireworks.
  • All fireworks must be bought and set off by someone over the age of 18.
  • Category 4 fireworks should only be used by professionals.

In order to keep your house safe during firework displays make sure all the safety practices are followed, also be aware of all the potential fire risks with a plan of how to solve them in a worst-case scenario.

Public Loss Adjuster Wish You a Safe and Enjoyable Bonfire Night

At Public Loss Adjusters, we recommend that anyone who will be in the vicinity of fireworks this bonfire night or at any time in the future should take extra care and follow all the necessary procedures. One of the most important measures that need to be followed is to make sure that any fireworks bought or used have the code BS 7114. Illegal fireworks are a huge cause of accidents during bonfire night. In addition to having the correct fireworks, make sure a keen eye is kept on the position and setting off of the fireworks.

Public Loss Adjusters hope that you all enjoy Bonfire Night and would like to remind you that if you are unfortunate enough to suffer damage to your property, we are here to help.

If your property has been affected by a fire due to fireworks, then give our specialist loss adjusters a call and get the entitlement you deserve, rather than settling for less.


Welcome Emma And Andrew To The Team

Due to a significant increase in our client base within the Midlands, Public Loss Adjusters are proud to introduce our new Loss Adjuster and new Operations manager at PLA Midlands branch.

Andrew Price (Chartered Loss Adjuster)

Andrew has worked in the insurance industry for over 17 years, with roles including claims handling and supplier management for a major insurance company. Andrew also has experience working for a building repair network as an operations and technical manager. In recent years Andrew has become a Charted Loss Adjuster who specialises in general domestic, commercial, rental properties and high net worth customers.

Emma Pearce (Operations Manager)

Emma has previously been employed as a Legal Secretary at a firm of Solicitors, moving to Ellis May Chartered Loss Adjusters in 2010. At Ellis May, Emma undertook roles as Secretary and progressed to Assistant Office Manager. During this period Emma worked to obtain her Cert CILA qualification. Altogether Emma has 9 years of experience working within the insurance industry. Emma has experience working for Adjusters/Surveyors dealing with insurance claims for domestic, commercial, high-net-worth and rental properties.

PLA welcome Andrew and Emma into our company and wishes them every luck in the future.


Our New Preferred Building Repair Network

Latest Announcement:

We are pleased to announce the appointment of MMS Contracting

MMS Contracting has been appointed to take over the management and vetting of the approved contractors on the Public Loss Adjusters supplier network. This will enable Public Loss Adjusters to focus on claim liability and handling and supply a faster settlement process to the public.

All existing contractors on the current PLA suppliers list will automatically be moved to MMS and any new contractor applications will be audited and approved by MMS Contractors Network.
For further information and the services they offer please visit the MMS Contractors Network Website.

MMS Contractor Network is an independent management company working to manage and promote their quality builders on a national basis to the public, insurers, and independent loss adjusters in relation to household insurance claim building reinstatement contracts with the public, clients, and insurers’ interests considered at all time.

Public Loss Adjusting Group feel this appointment fits with their public loss adjusting interests and supplies a transparent, independent costing and schedule of works to the claims process and is very pleased to welcome MMS on board as their approved supplier.


Torrential Rain Hits UK In Early Summer

In the past week, many areas of the UK have been hit by Storm Miguel leaving many locations underwater and properties being damaged. Public Loss Adjusters urge property owners to take procedures to make their property more flood resistant.

There are several ways to make your property flood resistant: you can place flood guards at the bottom of your doors to prevent the water from leaking in from the crevasses in the door. You can also clear all your gutters and drains to ensure that there is no build-up of water and that it all runs smoothly away from the property. If torrential rain does strike, make sure you take all valuable and electrical belongings to the higher levels of the property to ensure they are not damaged by the flood.

We also recommend shutting down the electrical supply to your house whilst the flooding is taking place, so no one is seriously hurt and to also prevent further damage to any electrical components that cannot be moved.

Our Loss Adjusters Are Here To Help

If you have been a victim of flash flooding and were unable to prevent water from damaging your property and personal belongings, then Public Loss Adjusters are here to help you.

We have helped thousands of businesses and property owners to restore their property back to its pre-loss condition. Our main area of expertise is knowing how much it costs, realistically, to restore your property and will negotiate with your insurer on your behalf to ensure you receive the sum that you need. We are here to ensure sure you get the full entitlement that your policy covers to return your house back to its previous condition.

If you have been affected by flash flooding, then please do not hesitate to give us a call and speak to one of our friendly professional loss adjusters today at 08000 434 999. Don’t settle for less.


Insurance Claim Help When You Need it Most

Are You involved in an insurance claim and feel that you are not on the winning side? On the 2nd December 2018, an article published in the Sunday Times was written by James Coney. This is a perfect example of why insurance management companies like ourselves may be able to help. Although Public Loss Adjusters did not manage this claim, this is a perfect example of a claim that we can assist with.

At the center of this story is the Weldin Family. It begins in April 2017 when the family purchased a house in Devon. They were on holiday when the house suffered a devastating fire. Paul Weldin followed the normal claim route advising his insurance company Ageas of the claim.

Insurers Refuse The Claim and the FOS Uphold The Decision.

The building that they owned was originally marketed as a 7 bedroom house. This included 2 attic bedrooms. Prior to purchase, Paul Weldin established that the attic rooms did not legally constitute as bedrooms as they lacked the building regulatory requirements. The insurer of the house was Ageas and covered it with 5 bedrooms. They refused the claim as they took the view it had 7 bedrooms and was therefore incorrectly described.

As a result, the family had to live in a tent as the property was unsafe and uninhabitable. With the claim having been denied, Paul Weldin made a formal complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Understandably, he believed his claim would be upheld. Unfortunately, FOS refused it on the basis that it was “irrelevant whether or it was not building regulation compliant”

Receiving no help from their insurers, Ageas and the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service) the Weldin Family then turned to the media to expose their story. This highlighted the unfairness of the decisions. Ultimately under pressure, Ageas and Paul Weldin reached a confidential compromise agreement.

Full Details of the Weldin’s Plight Before The Claim Was Settled.

Read this article published in March 2018 by DevonLive.com telling the story of the Weldin family’s plight whilst insurers reject the claim.
Family in ‘financial ruin’ as insurers refuse to pay out after devastating house fire.

Another interesting read is found here:
What an INJUSTICE: Readers slam insurer Ageas for denying a payout to family whose home burnt down… So now will they cough up?

How Public Loss Adjusters Will Make The Difference

Public Loss Adjusters are confident that had the Weldin family come to us, they would not have had the same problems. This is exactly the type of claim that we excel in. Many people simply do not know that there is help out there for them.

As a group of loss adjusters working on behalf of the public, above all, we do everything in our power to assist our clients. We have helped countless amount of clients to win a fair settlement by negotiating with insurers on their behalf.

Our role is to represent the public in claims of this nature. Above all, we ensure that justice is always achieved. Public Loss Adjusters have the professional expertise of lawyers, surveyors and loss adjusters. This ensures the successful outcome of your claim. We are here 24 hours a day to protect you and your interests.

If you have a complicated insurance claim it’s always better to have professionals like us work on your side. We can ensure the best outcome is always achieved.

For free advice contact Public Loss Adjusters now at 08000 434 999.


The Latest Kitchen Appliance Fire Statistics

Did you know that there were more than 16,000 kitchen appliance fires from April 2012 to April 2017 in the UK alone?

Kitchen appliance fires have been a constant problem for Emergency Services with figures as high as 12,000 fires between 2011 to 2014 and the number of fires only seems to be on the rise.

All different types of household appliances can cause fires from tumble dryers and toasters to fridges and freezers electrical faults cause roughly 60 house fires a week in the UK. Household appliances need to be properly checked and cleaned on a regular basis to avoid potentially deadly fires.

The tragic events at Grenfell tower last year which claimed the lives of 71 people were initially started by a faulty kitchen appliance showing the serious risks that can occur. While most household appliance fires are fortunately not as severe this event shows just how dangerous these appliances can be and the importance of proper maintenance.

What is The Cost of Faulty Appliances?

Kitchen appliance fires can cause as little as £200 in damage all the way up to entire properties burning to the ground resulting in upwards of £100,000 of damages as well as the risk of possible harm to people and animals inside the property.

Washing machines are the most likely kitchen appliance to cause a house fire as they were responsible for at least 35% of appliance-related fires between 2014 and 2016 with over 2,000 reported cases. House fires from appliances can start for a number of reasons such as faulty hardware from the manufacturer, damaged hardware from various everyday occurrences to simple dirt and grime build-up.

Public Loss Adjusters recommends a few quick and easy tips for general fire safety and to help reduce the risk of appliance malfunctions.
Make sure you have sufficient smoke alarms and that they are tested regularly.

Smoke alarms are absolutely essential in keeping you safe in the event of a fire. We recommend a minimum of one smoke alarm per floor as well as fitting alarms in all potential fire-starting locations. Testing your fire alarms is crucial and should be done at least once a month.

Clean Machines Regularly

Washing machines collect a large amount of grime and lint over the duration of washing clothes so it is important to clean your washing machine to reduce the chance of fires and to help wash clothes more effectively.

Register your electrical appliance from The Moment of Purchase

Without registering your appliance, you will receive no notification if a recall order is put out on that faulty product, while a faulty product does not mean it is an extreme fire risk getting the appliance serviced will reduce the risk.

If you are unable to register the electrical appliance try using a free online checker

There are multiple websites that you can use to check any recall orders or other potential issues with specific electrical appliances simply put in the name and make of your product and any relevant information will be displayed.

Never leave a washing machine running without supervision

We don’t expect you to sit next to the washing machine for the full running time but simply having a person in the house while it is running means someone can supervise the cycle ensuring that any issues during use will be discovered before it has significantly affected the property. One thing we would recommend would be to never leave your property unattended whilst you have a washing machine or tumble drier in use.

Help With Insurance Claims Resulting From White Goods Fires

If your property has already suffered from a fire due to a faulty kitchen appliance or any other electrical item, then we are here to help.

Our experts are here to ensure that you receive your full entitlement when you need our help with an insurance claim. We will manage all negotiations with your insurer on your behalf. Don’t settle for less, make sure you receive your full entitlement. In most cases, our loss adjusters work on a no-win no-fee basis. Even if you just need a little advice, pick up the phone and give our experts a call now at 08000 434 999 or contact us via our contact page.


Introducing Property Defects

Public Loss Adjusters are proud to announce that we have launched a new sister company. Property Defects are a group of loss adjusters, surveyors and building repair experts to help with insurance and warranty claims for defective newly built properties.

If your property was built within the last 10 years and has an insurance-backed warranty, we can now help with problems such as heave, subsidence, latent defects and damp or defective drainage. With this new service, we are now able to offer our help and expertise to even more property owners who may need assistance with property claims.

Public Loss Adjusters believe that working alongside Property Defects will hugely benefit each and every one of our clients. It will benefit our clients in a variety of different ways such as:

  • Being able to offer a range of professionals who can be appointed based on their specialist expertise.
  • Each company specialise in different areas so we can put our expertise together to benefit your claim.
  • Each company is well-established and respected within the insurance industry.

Property Defects help thousands of people nationwide deal with problems such as subsidence and latent defects, they have a vast range of knowledge in property damage and can help you start and finish your claim in the fastest time possible.

What Property Defects Can Do For You

With their extensive knowledge in claims management, loss assessing, surveying and property reinstatement they will be able to offer guidance and support with every claim they may come across, whether it is big or small. Property Defects work strictly for you and not your insurer or warranty provider, this will be helpful to you as you have a non-biased factor overseeing the claim and ensuring it is just and fair towards both you and the insurance company.

When enquiring for Property Defects to come and evaluate the damage that has occurred to your property, they will pick a time and date that suits you best. They will also provide you with a fully comprehensive claims management service so that they can take most of the stress off your shoulders and help speed up your claim dramatically. They also offer all these services on a strict no-win no-fee basis, so in the unlikely event of the case not following through you won’t be charged a penny.

If you have been as unfortunate to experience damage to your property that is totally out of your control don’t hesitate to contact either Public Loss Adjusters or Property Defects and get your claim underway today. If you would like to see more of the services that property defects offer why not look have a look on their website and see how they can help you www.propertydefects.co.uk.


Burst Pipe Claims Crisis For Insurers

Insurers will soon be inundated with burst pipe claims due to adverse weather and thawing snow. Over the last week, Public Loss Adjusters have been approached by hundreds of policyholders seeking help and advice due to properties suffering from burst pipes, flooding and storm damage. Find out how Public Loss Adjusters can keep your burst pipe insurance claim one step ahead by taking advantage of the services that we can offer.

Don’t Settle For Less! Call Public Loss Adjusters on 0800 434 999

With storms and sub-zero temperatures causing heavy snow and ice causing pipes to burst, water damage and flooding, many policyholders are starting to submit their insurance claims. The end of April and the beginning of March will become a period of time that all major insurers would rather forget.

Homeowners, businesses and local councils are now counting the cost of the unprecedented damage that has been caused by the Beast from the East and Storm Emma.

Just as homeowners and businesses think the worst is over, there are currently flood alerts across the whole of the UK due to swelling rivers as the snow melts away. Scotland in particular currently has 7 flood warnings in place at the time of writing.

Even as the UK starts to recover, weather forecasters are predicting another storm aptly named as The Pest from the West to hit the UK mainland this weekend. Bringing with it more bitterly cold temperatures, heavy downpours of rain and up to 15cm of snow in Scotland.

Water Damage on an Unprecedented Scale!

Our Loss Adjusters and insurance claim management team have already been contacted by 100’s of worried policyholders mainly due to burst pipes within their properties. Many of our clients have suffered from burst pipes within the loft area causing substantial damage throughout their homes.

With reports of bowed ceilings breaking under pressure, water damage has spread through to plasterboard, furniture, appliances and flooring. Other external water leaks have caused damage to multiple neighbouring properties on the same streets.

There are many reports of flooding in schools and businesses across the UK. Many roads have been closed leading to dangerous driving conditions as the water turns to ice. Many towns and cities are currently suffering from water shortages and are providing water bottles until all the burst pipes are identified and repaired.

1000’s of Burst Pipes Throughout The UK

Throughout the country, there have been thousands of burst pipes causing several millions of pounds worth of damage. Businesses have been forced to close, waiting for insurance loss adjusters to assess their losses whilst they count the cost of the damage that has been caused.

Hundreds of homes have been damaged by burst pipes. Public Loss Adjusters have in fact had numerous calls where the pipes have burst in the lofts of the policyholders’ homes. This has caused ceilings to buckle from the pressure of the water leading to flood damage throughout their properties.

Water Damaged Areas That Have Been Affected

Two of the largest employers in Birmingham had to temporarily stop production after a burst pipe crisis. Water supplies were cut to Jaguar Land Rover in Solihull and Cadburys Bournemouth site. On Monday Severn Trent Water confirmed that they didn’t know when the burst water pipe shortage chaos would come to an end.

Severn Trent has made bottles of water available to Birmingham residents who had faced water shortages in Harborne, Longbridge, Ladywood and Walkers Heath. They stated that the rapid thaw had resulted in an unprecedented number of broken pipes around the area.

Meanwhile, the West Midlands Ambulance Service recorded its busiest day ever. In fact, they received over 5000 calls in one day. This was mainly due to heavy snow and people were ignoring other NHS services that were available, instead opting to dial 999.

Severn Trent Water has also been delivering emergency supply bottles to homes across Derbyshire as they fight to fix damaged water pipes that have leaked during the cold weather. Many homeowners who have been left with no running water will be offered compensation from Severn Trent.

This has also led to Oswald’s Primary School, Brassington Primary School, Horsley C of E Primary School, Hague Bar Primary School and Crich Church of England Infant School closing.

Burton was experiencing either low water pressure or no water at all due to high demands. Residents had been asked to only use water if it is essential whilst they struggle to meet demands. Reports now confirm that the majority of water is now back on.

This follows residents of Sudbury and Doveridge being left without water for 2 days which was followed up by another major burst as Storm Emma continued.

Waseley Hills High School in Rubery had to close six science labs, four maths classrooms and two toilet blocks. This was due to a burst tank that had also leaked water into the power and heating systems,

In Bolton, St Catherine’s Academy had to close because of a leaking pipe due to cold conditions. Due to having no hot running water, parents were texted to pick up their children. Many businesses were forced to close due to flooding in the Market Place Shopping Centre. This affected many stores including The Vaults, The Lost Valley Adventure Golf Course, The Bank Restaurant and New Look

A burst water main led to a fire at Environmental Agency premises in Warrington. This was caused by water leaking onto an electrical installation.

Meanwhile in Lincoln city centre roads had to close due to a burst water main. Causing delays for motorists, Silver Street and Mint Street were closed whilst repair works were carried out. Again, local residents reported low pressure or no water at all.

A Tesco store in Nottingham city centre has had to close due to a burst water pipe. A sign on the door read “Due to a burst water main we are currently unable to open for business as usual. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.” The Maid Marian Way store had to close due to a water leak at a neighbouring property.

The Brize Norton Primary School in Oxfordshire had to temporarily close for the day after a water pipe broke in its hall. Thames Water also issued a warning of more burst pipes to come after the freezing temperatures make way for a rapid thaw.


Scottish Water has teams on location in St Margarete’s Hope area, South Ronaldsay and Burray today to try and locate the burst mains in those areas. In fact, they have been asking the public to pinpoint any water mains bursts in order for the water supplier to repair them as quickly as possible.

In Glasgow, residents have been left without water caused by a burst main in Hillhead. Many properties within the G12 postcode have reported discoloured water running through their taps. A flood alert is now in place as the snow begins to thaw.

In West Fife trains from Dunfermline and Rosyth were cancelled due to flooding. On Wednesday National Rail reported that flooding between Glenrothes and Cowdenbeath was causing disruption. Only one early morning train made it through the route.


In Wales a burst pipe had led to water freezing, creating a spectacular 20ft frozen geyser in bushes on a field in Cwn Soden. Click here to see the amazing pictures printed by Wales Online.

Also in Wales, thousands of properties were left without water due to numerous damaged pipes. Welsh Water received over 200 calls from customers who were affected by burst pipes from worried customers. On Sunday night people queued for bottled water as a burst pipe left many without a water supply.

Homes and businesses in Gwent were left counting the cost. The extreme weather had caused burst pipes and boilers to stop working. Penygarn Community Primary School in Pontypool and New Inn Primary School had to close due to boiler issues. Training Mind offices in Blaenafon suffered flooding from burst pipes and had to close.

Preventing Burst Pipes in Freezing Weather

What do Public Loss Adjusters recommend preventing burst pipes during cold spells? We suggest the following when temperatures drop below 2 Degrees Celsius:

  • Ensure that your water tank is protected with an insulation jacket. This will help save on energy costs in the long term
  • Do not place loft insulation below the water tank as this will prevent heat from reaching the rooms below and help the tank to keep warm
  • With thinner piping, you should use thicker insulation. A 15mm or ½ pipe will need insulation that is between 25mm – 28mm thick. 1inch pipes will need insulation that is at least 19mm thick
  • It is always worth paying more for good-quality insulation to protect your property
  • Pipes outside your property are exposed and should be insulated especially in unheated outhouses
  • If your pipes are not in use during the winter it is always better to drain them
How Can Public Loss Adjusters Help with Your Burst Pipe Insurance Claim?

Public Loss Adjusters would like to reassure policyholders that we are here to help each and every one of you who are looking for help in managing their property claims. Our insurance claims management experts are only a free phone call away.

We are glad to offer free help and advice if you require it and can also manage your insurance claim to ensure that you receive your full entitlement. Once you appoint Public Loss Adjusters we can take over all negotiations directly with your insurer.

Working on your behalf we are here to put your interests first to ensure your claim is dealt with promptly and professionally. We can even recommend the contractors that we would use if we were in the same situation. All contractors we recommend are fully experienced in repairing properties that have been water-damaged due to burst pipes.

If your policy includes alternative accommodation if required, and it is included with your insurance policy, we can arrange this on your behalf. We also have the ability to negotiate interim payments if needed to ensure that you are not caught short whilst your water damage claim is being negotiated.

If you need to make a claim please feel free to call Public Loss Adjusters on 08000 434 999.


Keep Your Chimneys Clean This Winter!

Have you swept your chimney recently? As the winter months draw in, you will most likely be using your fireplace to keep your home warm and cosy. However, you could end up with serious damage to your home from an unclean chimney – blocked chimneys can cause serious chimney fires that could destroy your home.

Chimneys should be swept depending on the fuel used by the fireplace. Smokeless, gas and oil fuels need to be swept once a year, bituminous coal should be swept twice a year and wood should be swept quarterly when you are using your fire. Remember that any work on gas appliances must be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer – always be safe with your gas appliances.

If your chimney is not swept, there is the possibility that soot left in the flue will ignite from the heat. This can cause serious damage to your flue as you use your fire. Furthermore, there may also be other debris inside the flue such as bird’s nests and cobwebs which can also make ignition more likely. Chimney fires can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning when the gases released by fires seep back into the home due to a blocked flue.

Public Loss Adjusters recommend that you have your chimney cleaned as soon as possible – it is better to have your chimney cleaned later than never. Between sweeps, you should keep your fireplace or wood burner clean and free of ash and soot. It is also important to not use unseasoned wet wood – cooler smoke causes more soot and creosotes to build up in the flue.

You should also always use a fireguard if you have an open fire, as hot sparks can fly out of the embers. You should also never leave a fire burning unattended – ensure that you completely extinguish the fire before you go to bed or leave the house. If you use a wood burner, do not store logs right next to it – they could ignite with the heat from the burner.


The True Cost of Faulty White Good Appliances

Did you know that the cost of damage caused by faulty white goods is £118m in London alone over the last 5 years?

Information has just been revealed from the London Fire Department, which tells us that the British public has paid £118m for damage caused by white goods in the last 5 years.

White good appliances such as fridges, dryers and dishwashers are the most likely components to start a blaze inside your property. Each fire that these appliances cause costs the property owner around £57,000 – this figure has been released as an estimate from the London fire department.

The campaign to look into the damage that white good appliances cause and how much money they cost the public came after a tumble drier set a tower block ablaze in Shepherd’s Bush. It took 120 firefighters to eventually kill the fire. Luckily no one was hurt, but a lot were left homeless.

There is at least one fire a day in the UK alone due to white good appliances. The London Fire Brigade alone has been sent to over 2,000 incidents in the past 5 years where white goods appliances have been the focal point of the incident. London Fire Brigade has urged Whirlpool, one of the manufacturers, to send out a safety warning on all appliances that pose a fire risk, and to send out engineers or recall the products as soon as possible to prevent further fires.

Public Loss Adjusters recommend that everyone be careful when purchasing white goods appliances and check to see if there are any fire safety warnings on the product before you make the purchase. We also recommend that everyone who already owns the appliances check online or with the company to see if there have been any fire safety warnings placed on the product. When using appliances such as dishwashers and tumble driers, make sure you keep a keen eye on them and when leaving the property make sure they are turned off by the mains to prevent safety risks and damage to your property.

If your property has suffered from a fire due to a faulty electrical appliance, then we are here to help. Before you get in touch with your insurance company, call us first. We are here to manage all negotiations with your insurer on your behalf. Don’t settle for less, settle for your full entitlement. In most cases, our loss adjusters work on a no-win no-fee basis. Even if you just need a little advice, pick up the phone and give our experts a call now.


Are Cheap Mobile Phone Chargers Worth The Risk?

If you have ever ordered a cheap charger wire for your phone or any other devices, then you could be at risk – the majority of people will look online to buy charger wires for cheaper because buying an authentic wire could leave you out of pocket, but there is a huge risk when buying these cheap wires. Most of the wires purchased are made in China for less than 3p and although it may seem like a good deal at the time we assure you it is not.

Because of where they are made and how little they are made for, there are huge safety faults – they are put together poorly and made with poor components and sometimes are not fitted with safety features such as fuses. When using these cheap components, can lead to serious health and safety issues; they can cause electric shocks, injury and also cause fires.

It’s also not the wires that could be at risk, plugs that are bought online for cheap prices also have health and safety deficiencies. When buying a plug, you should always check that there is at least 9.5 mm between the edge of the plug pins and the end of the charger. If the spacing is not correct it can lead to injury by causing an electric shock.

To avoid any damage the faulty goods can cause, we urge everyone to buy authentic chargers or chargers that are health and safety regulated by UK standards. There are a few simple ways to check if the equipment you are buying is adequate such as:

  • Looking for the manufacturer’s brand name or logo.
  • Look for the model and brand number on the device.
  • Check for a mark which will say ‘CE’. (Do not rely on this marking alone as it can be easily forged)
  • Check the output voltage and current ratings on your charging device match your mobile phone.

So when looking for a device please ensure all the health and safety regulations are met to avoid you or your family getting hurt or property being damaged.


The 7 Year Insurance Claim Nightmare!

Couple Waited Seven Years For Insurance Claim To Be Settled – Don’t Let This Happen To You!

At Public Loss Adjusters, we know just how stressful and time-consuming it can be when dealing with an insurance claim. Insurance companies are constantly dragging out claims and making them go on much longer than they actually need to. Here The Daily Telegraph has written an article on how a couple have been severely mistreated – they have been made to wait seven years for their insurance company to act on the damage that occurred all those years ago.

Homeowners and insurers are gearing up for another tough winter, as claims rise during the colder months.

Shorter daylight hours, increased rainfall and lower temperatures make damage more likely – and resolving some home insurance claims can be a long-winded and frustrating process.

Telegraph Money has been contacted by many homeowners who are still unable to return to their homes a year after the December floods last year, although insurers say most claims are now settled and most customers are back in their homes.

But sometimes poor-quality work results in people being stranded for even longer, as the case below illustrates.

‘I was told that I was making excuses, and the house was fit to live in’

No one knows the problems that can arise from mishandled claims better than John and Angela Padgett, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

The couple have endured a seven-year battle following a break-in that caused flooding at their home in November 2009.

The burglars caused extensive damage, smashing lavatory cisterns, breaking the basins and turning on taps and leaving them running. When Mrs Padgett arrived home, disturbing the intruders, the house was flooded.

The Padgetts moved out immediately. A surveyor from Crawfords, appointed by Aviva, their insurer, said the clean‑up operation would take three months, plus however long it took to dry out the house.

He appointed one of Aviva’s approved contractors and the work began. But that winter was the coldest since 1978. During the “big freeze”, temperatures in Yorkshire dropped to -10C and the house froze up.

Despite some reservations about the quality of the work, the Padgetts eventually moved back into the house in August 2011.

“I was beginning to have grave doubts,” Mr Padgett said. “But I was told that I was making excuses and the house was fit to live in. Immediately, we had a list of complaints.”

The couple were unhappy about small things, such as the bathroom fittings that didn’t match the ones which had been removed.

More serious, though, were the problems with the plumbing and the Aga stove.

The central heating was leaking, while the Aga worked only at a fraction of its full power, and no one could work out why. Finally, in September 2014, the water tank in the loft imploded, and the ceiling fell in.

An inspector from the water board came to inspect the house and told the couple that it was too dangerous for them to live there.

To make matters worse, it was found that the Aga, which had been damaged during the freeze of 2009, was leaking carbon monoxide and had to be removed.

In total, the couple were out of their home for 38 months. They finally moved back in May this year, but are still subject to constant investigations from builders trying to work out what has gone so wrong with the plumbing.

Mr Padgett said: “I want my house finished – and I want someone to stand up and say: ‘We’ve made a mistake.’

“I also want my life back. Seven years of life is not a video cassette. You can’t rewind and use it again. It’s gone.”

The couple took their complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service last year and won.

A spokesman for Aviva said the firm was “keen to resolve the matter as quickly as possible”.

He said: “We have worked with Mr and Mrs Padgett to help resolve this claim, particularly the ongoing water pressure issues.

“We have appointed specialists to help resolve these issues and, on the advice of Mr Padgett’s surveyor, we are currently investigating the replacement of the existing water mains pipe to increase pressure to the property, which involves digging under part of the garden .

“However, we accept that there have been some areas of the claim which have not been managed as well or as quickly as we would have liked.

“Some of the repair work has been below standard, which has led to delays and further problems as these issues have tried to be resolved.

“These issues have been compounded by some contractors not returning to site to finish the work, so further contractors had to be found.”

He added: “In line with the ombudsman’s ruling, we offered £2,500 to the Padgetts and we have subsequently increased this offer to £3,000.”

Customers ‘still pressured into using poor-quality contractors’

James Walker of Resolver, a service that helps consumers complain about poor service, said customers were still being pressured into using an insurer’s own contractors, instead of finding their own.

This might be presented as being quicker and more convenient for the homeowner, but it can result in work of poor quality.

Insurers can often access cheaper contractors than homeowners can – and value doesn’t always mean quality.

“There is definitely still an emphasis on saying: ‘You should use our contractors’,” said Mr Walker. “I see it with car insurance, where companies offer customers a longer guarantee for using their own contractor.

“While a guarantee is good, you then often find they’re not doing the quality job you should expect.”

Customers who have problems with contractors or loss adjusters should take their grievances back to the insurer themselves.

This means there is evidence that you have flagged matters up early, which could be useful if a formal complaint is made later on.

Typically, an insurer’s first response to a claim is to send a loss adjuster or claims manager to the house to assess the financial impact.

They are often not expert in building and surveying and can misjudge the scale or cost of repairs.

Some claimants also experience delays of several weeks while contractors are appointed, meaning vital steps such as the installation of drying equipment are not taken.

Some companies seem to be learning, though. NFU Mutual has changed its focus to starting the repair work as soon as possible, instead of focusing on the cost of the claim, as has been more common for home insurers.

Mr Walker said some insurers had also improved their provision for flood victims as a result of the government-backed Flood Re programme.

This reinsurance scheme makes it cheaper and easier for homeowners in flood-prone areas to get insured.

As a result, insurers are forced to be more competitive, because their customers can shop around more easily.


When dealing with an insurance claim, make sure you do not make the same mistake that this unfortunate couple did – acquire the professional services of Public Loss Adjusters. We are constantly fighting your corner to ensure you get the best possible entitlement fee and to ensure that the claim is completed as soon as possible so you can return back to your normal routine. We know how stressful it can be when dealing with an insurance claim, so let us help you so you can get the best possible result.


More Latest News

All News

Customer Testimonials

Michele Desmond

Within 1 month of being appointed, he had secured an offer 10 times greater than the insurance company's original offer to us in settlement. Very professional service throughout. I would thoroughly recommend PLA.

Maya Odedra

Thanks to them we got our claim and everything worked out. They are all so friendly and honest and always there for us when we needed them on the phone or in person. Thank you so much. Really appreciate what you did for us.

Yasmeen Hussain

Thank you so much Michael even though these words are far less for you. Anyone who is thinking twice please don’t hesitate you won’t regret it you will be in best hands possible I promise you.

All Testimonials

Why Use Our Claims Insurance Management Services?

Questions & Answers
Request a Callback

    Why Choose Us?
    • Free Loss Adjusting Service in Most Cases

    • Nationwide Company - Friendly Local Approach

    • We Only Recommend Fully Qualified Contractors

    • 24 Hour Nationwide Helpline

    • We Work For You NOT Your Insurance Company

    • Settlement Figure Higher in Most Cases

    • Option of Cash Settlement For 10% Fee

    Learn More
    We cover the whole of the UK
    Call Now ButtonClick to Call