Staying Safe This Christmas
Over the holidays, we will all be enjoying spending quality time with all of our friends and family. Over the holidays, firefighters near you receive a number of calls about candles starting fires, kitchen fires, electrical fires (even your presents could present a fire risk) and more. There are always incidents occurring over Christmas that could be easily prevented by following simple safety advice.
Here at PLA we have put together our top 10 best tips which will help you stay safe this Christmas:
1. Check that all Christmas tree lights and electrical presents are to the British electrical safety standard.
2. Keep candles away from the Christmas tree and any flammable objects like curtains.
3. Don’t attach decorations to lights or heaters because they can easily catch alight.
4. Remember not to overuse your electrical sockets or extension leads, and remember to switch them off at the mains when not in use.
5. Do not cook whilst drunk – it is very easy to fall asleep or forget about your food altogether.
6. Keep an eye on food that is cooking.
7. If you are going to be using fireworks, make sure you follow the safety instructions.
8. Make sure that all cigarettes are completely extinguished before you leave them unattended so that they don’t start to smoulder.
9. Check that all smoke alarms have batteries which work, and that a fire plan is in place so everyone knows where to go and how to get out.
10. Make sure that if you are drinking not to drive anywhere, if you need to get somewhere order a taxi or just stay at your family or friends house.
These tips will help you stay safe over the holidays. But if an incident does happen over Christmas just know that we will be here to help. Our phone lines will be open over Christmas for guidance and emergencies.
Public Loss Adjusters want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.